Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got to share this with you all, on a ride out to day I was pulled over by the police for eating a protein bar while riding according to pc plod I am not in control of the bike if I don't have 2 hands on the bar, I was going to ask him what am I supposed to do shoot down and have a picnic but don't think he had a sense of humor any one else been pulled over by the police or was I just un-lucky and came across a grumpy git.

I was going to ask him what am I supposed to do shoot down and have a picnic.
Good job you didn't, or you might still be in a cell :whistle:

HovR

Über Member
If I remember rightly, I think I cycled past some police no-handed before. It was on a quiet road, and I guess they either didn't care or had something better to do.

This is a "grey area"

The point is adequate control, and a number of drivers have been done for eating, drinking, and other activities whilst driving.

However the definition is usally (IIRC) that an essential movement such as to take one hand from the steering (handlebar/ wheel0 to change the gears or signal is reasonable and required.

Eating, drinking, changing cassettes etc isn't and therefore can be penalised

You came across a grumpy one. And a bored one to stop you for it.

Technically he could consider careless cycling, however I doubt very very much CPS would ever run it. Additionally, the officer who bothered to submit it would probably get a 'You want to report what?' from his sarge.

That's presuming you weren't wobbling all over the shop, which I doubt.

Either way, my advice would be to nod politely and ignore tbh. It's what I'd do!

Can be fun though...

Cycling through Fareham and there is one of the ubiquitous "Cyclists Dismount" signs It is actually on a road, so no break or cycle track.

PCSO stops me and points to sign.Then asks me what it is.

Me " I believe that is a Sign 966"

PCSO Bemused look... "It says Cyclists Dismount and you didn't"

Me "No it advises Cyclists to dismount. Blue background is advisory. There is no traffic, pedestrians or obstruction therefore there is no need to dismount"

PCSO "It means you have to get off and walk"

Me " No it doesn't, however if you are in your official role asking me to do so then that is different"

PCSO " You need to walk through here, or you will get a ticket"

Me "Where can I remount then?"

PCSO "What do you mean"

Me "Well you have told me to dismount, or you will give me a ticket, I will need you to tell me when you will allow me to remount"

PCSO "Are you being funny?"

Me "No just asking you to clarify your instructions"

At which point he was joined by a real Police Officer who took my side and I disappeared happily.

Occasionally see the PCSO around and he still gives me funny looks.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How are you meant to indicate? Or is he suggest that we don't need too :laugh:

So which of the delegated powers of PCSO's was he claiming to be operating under? Unless you were cycling on a footpath at the time he doesn't have too many.

caimg

Über Member
Is this the same for drivers? Do police tend to pull over drivers who don't have two hands on the wheel?

And the police are claiming they are under-resourced! If they've still got time to spend on nonsense like this, Government cuts haven't gone far enough! :whistle:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Got to share this with you all, on a ride out to day I was pulled over by the police for eating a protein bar while riding according to pc plod I am not in control of the bike if I don't have 2 hands on the bar, I was going to ask him what am I supposed to do shoot down and have a picnic but don't think he had a sense of humor any one else been pulled over by the police or was I just un-lucky and came across a grumpy git.
how about signalling?

the police officer might have been officious, but, actually, eating a protein bar while on the move is pretty silly. You see it on audaxes all the time, but, then again, nobody has to pass an IQ test to do an audax

potsy

Rambler
So all the chavs I see round here cycling with no hands at all, most of them on the pavement, will be getting pulled soon then?
GMP are going to be busy ^_^

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
how about signalling?

the police officer might have been officious, but, actually, eating a protein bar while on the move is pretty silly. You see it on audaxes all the time, but, then again, nobody has to pass an IQ test to do an audax
nom nom nom nom nom...

cyclist-eating-power-bar.jpg

Top Bottom