Pr*cks on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The Cafe at Faygate on the FNRttC Bognor/Felpham run also has a sign saying you will not be served if you are on a mobile phone.

Actually I believe it says "Rudeness we do not tolerate. Using mobile phones at the counter is one of them." And quite right too!

I've no problem with hands-free, although I've used it very rarely.
It's the near death experiences I've had at roundabouts that disturb me. Typical scenario is handheld mobile user flying straight through unable to look right, brake, gear change, steer or indicate due to being minus 1 arm and having no neck movement.

400bhp

Guru
Actually I believe it says "Rudeness we do not tolerate. Using mobile phones at the counter is one of them." And quite right too!

Superb - I like this attitude. :thumbsup:

Now, if we can extend "over the counter" to trains/trams/buses/theatre/cinema.....

How would the police force function without radios/phones/sat navs in their cars/motorcycle helmets?

Since the radios went digital with Airwaves, it's actually illegal for us to use our handheld radios (which are normally clipped to our stab vest) whilst driving.

It would to be illegal for me to dig out my old Motorola radio and use it whilst driving. I'd be talking to myself though!

The law is strange sometimes. It can't be written to cover every eventuality, and we need prosecutions followed by case law to fill in the gaps sometimes.

Reactions: gaz

Jezston

Über Member
Since the radios went digital with Airwaves, it's actually illegal for us to use our handheld radios (which are normally clipped to our stab vest) whilst driving.

It would to be illegal for me to dig out my old Motorola radio and use it whilst driving. I'd be talking to myself though!

The law is strange sometimes. It can't be written to cover every eventuality, and we need prosecutions followed by case law to fill in the gaps sometimes.

From what I recall from the cops with cameras type shows is that there's always two of you in the car anyway? So the other officer does the talking, meaning the driver wouldn't have any need to use one anyway. Right?

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran

I was referring to the hands free stuff, obviously.

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
People who's jobs involve a lot of driving (some doctors, vets, tradesmen, and the like) rely on the use of hands free phones/communication to people outside of the car during their driving, to say it should be banned is just ridiculous. People that drive like tw*ts when they are on the phone would probably be driving like tw*ts when they are off the phone. I find all this anti-phone (hands free of course) militance completely stupid.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
People who's jobs involve a lot of driving (some doctors, vets, tradesmen, and the like) rely on the use of hands free phones/communication to people outside of the car during their driving, to say it should be banned is just ridiculous. People that drive like tw*ts when they are on the phone would probably be driving like tw*ts when they are off the phone. I find all this anti-phone (hands free of course) militance completely stupid.

I read the first bit as 'People who's jobs involve a lot of drinking'....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

"I find all this anti-drink driving militance completely stupid."

Same thing, just less socially acceptable.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
And I like politeness too. So I was pleased one day when I pulled my car into a passing place to let a driver coming the other way come through that he gave me a cheery wave. I was less pleased when I realised that his other hand was holding a mobile to his left ear. Hands-free driving.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I think the definition of mobile hand held device includes a reference to kit that uses the frequencies allocated for mobile use. That's why Copper cannot use his airwave but can use the old walkie-talkie. It's also why truckers can use CB and any of us can use PMR446 from the car - very useful if driving in convoy.

Don't share Becs' view that talking on handsfree is same as talking to a passenger. Firstly most passengers have the nous to pause the conversation if they see the driver's workload increasing such as junctions or in jams etc. Secondly in car chit chat with the family is quite different from carrying out a business to business conversation or giving medical or even veterinary advice requiring recall, calculation and perhaps a manager/employee power relationship. Too much attention to the matter on the 'phone, too little on the road.

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Obviously you pick and choose your conversations and the roads on which you have them, but if you're sensible it's really very straightforward and poses little, if any additional risk than talking to a passenger or listening to the radio. Sadly there are many professions were your car becomes your office and a phone is a necessity.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sorry that the truth doesn't match what you hope and wish for, Becs, but using a phone in a car is pretty much the same as drink driving in terms of the risk you bring to others, and the distraction it poses to your driving. It's contemptible behaviour.

Top Bottom