Pretty girlie-girlie racer wanted for £100...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
you'll not get much for £100 if anything at all (that's actually worth buying)!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster

Hi CoG,

I've had this same dilema looking for a racing bike for my 12 y/o daughter. What i've decieded to do is go a hybrid route, and then at some stage, convert to drops.

Its seems a big dearth of anything suitable at that age range with out spending bucket loads.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi CoG,

I've had this same dilema looking for a racing bike for my 12 y/o daughter. What i've decieded to do is go a hybrid route, and then at some stage, convert to drops.

Its seems a big dearth of anything suitable at that age range with out spending bucket loads.

You can't simply fit drops on a hydrid bike as the top tube will be far too long! Straight handlebar bikes always have much longer top tubes than drop bar bikes.

montage

God Almighty
I'd say look for one of those female raleigh type bikes on fleabay and do it up to a workable condition, perhaps with a touch of pink bar tape or something

eg this or this or this or this or this

You get the idea....I ebayed: girl racer and lady racer....stuff like that!

I'm sure they may need a bit of work - though one or two of those were in new condition. bars might need raising/ a bit more padding for a beginner though

e-rider

crappy member
I'd say look for one of those female raleigh type bikes on fleabay and do it up to a workable condition, perhaps with a touch of pink bar tape or something

eg this or this or this or this or this

You get the idea....I ebayed: girl racer and lady racer....stuff like that!

I'm sure they may need a bit of work - though one or two of those were in new condition. bars might need raising/ a bit more padding for a beginner though

ALL 5 of your suggestions are childs/girls bikes!

I assumed the OP was for an adult ladies bike, especially as she is 5'6" tall (that would be a very tall kid).

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
You can't simply fit drops on a hydrid bike as the top tube will be far too long! Straight handlebar bikes always have much longer top tubes than drop bar bikes.

Yeh you can, these compact ones seem fine.

Although she will have to still grow a bit, but thats in the plan anyway as the other issue, the bigger one, is her hand size and strength is not ready yet for road bike sti's and the whole intergrated issue confuses her too.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1172576"]
Cheers for that. That last link looked a poss. I'll pass it/something similar by her on Monday.

She's 5'5". She's shrunk.

Need to sort her out with a bike.

Told her I'm plugged into the London cyclcing community, and that the word on the street is that CoG is looking for a bike for her, and so all cyclists are scouring for a suitable find.

My street cred is at stake here! Plus she'll buy me a couple of beers in the pub as a thank you. :biggrin:
[/quote]

Sounds like a case of nothing to lose then?! :biggrin:

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

brokenbetty

Über Member
If I was allowed to get another bike (and was a few inches taller) I'd be bidding on this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item33608e967c

It's not got drops but it's monumentally, phenomenally, almost biblically girlie - and 21" should be spot on for 5'5". My guess is it'll go for less than £100.

That leaves £50 to convert to drops if you want to, or £50 for her to buy the girlie basket she's going to want as soon as she sees it :biggrin:

e-rider

crappy member
If I was allowed to get another bike (and was a few inches taller) I'd be bidding on this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item33608e967c

It's not got drops but it's monumentally, phenomenally, almost biblically girlie - and 21" should be spot on for 5'5". My guess is it'll go for less than £100.

That leaves £50 to convert to drops if you want to, or £50 for her to buy the girlie basket she's going to want as soon as she sees it :biggrin:

It certainly looks in good condition for its age but other than that it's a pile of $hit! It should certainly go for under £100 becasue it probably only cost £100 new.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
What an awful shame to call that Mixtie shoot. Ok it has some awkward components with it's French threaded BB and a few other sizing oddities but it's a wonderful example of a modern classic. Very good condition and really nice to see original cranks and chain guard.

I saw a really nice condition Claud Butler Gran Sport this morning. The owner was very pleased that I recognised it and complimented him on his ride. Mixtie's have a tendancy to get snapped up on ebay though and have seen a resurgence onto the city streets as of late.

Abs

Top Bottom