Pricing help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raindancer411

Hi all, my mum has two old bikes to sell that are at a house she is clearing after she lost her aunt. My sister contacted a shop and they have given her round about prices but we wondering if these are realistic for someone to play. What do you think?

One is a Merlin (Raleigh) a basic model, dating 70s and they said £125-160. Frame is about 35" floor to top of frame (I know now I measured wrong!!)

The other is a BSA Prima, which they said is a higher end road model, made from Reynolds 531 steel. They said between £225 and £295. It is hardly used and in great condition and is about a 32" frame from floor to top of frame...

Any help would be appreciated as we have no clue, not being bike buffs :biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

sreten

Hi,

Beginners is not the right forum, ask in a retro forum.

rgds, sreten.

RWright

Guru
Those are some fresh looking older bikes. I would not be in a hurry to sell them. I am no expert but I think they might be worth more than the prices you were given. They are only worth what someone will pay you for them but judging by the pictures those are nice looking bikes.

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

Thanks but we have no where to store them, so we need to sell them...

Thanks Sreten, will hopefully get an answer there :smile:

Brommyboy

Über Member
The size of a bicycle is given as the measurement from BB centre to top of seat tube (if horizontal, as these should be). If actually 35" this is for giants! If especially large, this frame should only measure 25". Prices seem reasonable, as quoted.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Raindancer411 where are the bikes location wise in uk ?

both look very clean and tidy as for value as others have said only worth what people will pay ,are you after a quick sale or are you prepared to wait for the right money as that will make a differance

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

We have a few weeks until the house sale completes and then, unless we have somewhere to store them, it may have to be a quick sale.

They are gravesend in kent

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We have a few weeks until the house sale completes and then, unless we have somewhere to store them, it may have to be a quick sale.

They are gravesend in kent
imho i think the prices are high but might be obtainable on the Raleigh the BSA is high and would suggest £225 - 250 and sit it out and see what happens

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

Thanks :smile: Hoping to be able to post them in the for sale part on here once I am allowed. Just want them to go to people that appreciate them.

OP
OP
R

Raindancer411

Thank you :smile: Yes the person they belonged to has long passed but he and his sister who kept them till the end where very house proud. I couldn't believe how new the BSA looked as the wrapping around the handle bars is white!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks very much like they were kept indoors and from what you've posted the sister probably kept them from nostalgia for her brother, you don't often come across 70s bikes in that sort of condition needing probably very little restoration at all, if any.

Top Bottom