Priority vs Right of Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ferret fur

Every so often this crops up, with people quoting the Highway Code & saying there is no such thing as Right of Way.

So what exactly is the difference?

a: In theory

b: In practice

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Right of way should be used to describe where people can walk or cycle. Such as the pedestrian has the right of way (to walk) on a path through the field.

Priority is where you have priority over someone else, such as you are on the main road and you have priority over the vehicle coming out of the side road. However if the driver on the side road pulls out in front of you, you should slow down or stop if required to avoid an incident.

Hector

Right of way is case driven and priority is statue driven.

In practise if there was an issue with right of way, giving way to the right for example on a RAB. You don't have to do it.

With priority, for example when crossing a zebra crossing then you do have to do it due to the RTA.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
There is such a thing as "right of way" but it doesn't mean what some people think it means.

Right of way means you have the right to use a particular thoroughfare (eg cars have no right of way on bridlepaths, bikes have no right of way on motorways).

Priority is about which road user should give way to which other road user in a given situation.

d.

gavintc

Guru
However, we 'Give Way' at junctions which leads to the term that the priority road has a 'right of way'. Incorrect terminology, but a reasonable linkage.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Btw, as I understand it, motorists technically never have "right of way" since motor vehicles are suffered on our roads under licence, ie they are not there by right. Unlike pedestrians and cyclists (and horse riders too, I think), who do have a statutory right to be on the road (except certain classes of road).

But don't quote me on this because I'm not sure it's entirely accurate.

d.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
However, we 'Give Way' at junctions which leads to the term that the priority road has a 'right of way'. Incorrect terminology, but a reasonable linkage.

True and entirely reasonable, though "priority" is preferable because it's less ambiguous.

d.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
'Right of way' means different things based on the context (whether it's concerning a public throughway, transportation or traffic). In terms of traffic, the term 'right of way' is interchangeable with the word 'priority'. I think forcing people to use the word 'priority' when the context is clear is a bit pedantic.

PK99

Legendary Member
Btw, as I understand it, motorists technically never have "right of way" since motor vehicles are suffered on our roads under licence, ie they are not there by right. Unlike pedestrians and cyclists (and horse riders too, I think), who do have a statutory right to be on the road (except certain classes of road).

But don't quote me on this because I'm not sure it's entirely accurate.

d.
General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103-158)

This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

Permissive Right of Way - There is that one as well, normally applies to off road routes where no specific right of way exists but permission is in place to allow access - a lot of abandoned railway lines have become these where they have not already been claimed by Sustrans and made into true rights of way.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think this may be aimed at me???
I always thought "right of way" was the correct term. I will try and remember to use priority in future, but can't promise I won't get it wrong again.

Alun

Guru
I think this may be aimed at me???
I always thought "right of way" was the correct term. I will try and remember to use priority in future, but can't promise I won't get it wrong again.
Don't worry too much about it !
This thread wins the "Most Pedantic Thread of the Month" award.^_^

Top Bottom