Project Bike #2 - Raleigh Sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zzpza

I got this bike off Free Cycle as it was about to be skipped. I also got an Apollo Equipe at the same time for the same reason. Project Bike #1 - Apollo Equipe

The bottom bracket on the Raleigh was sealed, but the headset wasn't. The brakes were rusted solid and single pivot, with nut mount. It also had a 26" front wheel and a 700c rear. This is what it looked like.

3164017834_54e2dbfaef.jpg

Weird mount for the 'sensor' (bike computer) that gives this model it's name.

3167662546_6795898b51.jpg

I stripped all the parts off the frame, including headset cups, bottom bracket, etc, etc.

3166831229_afc5a3966a.jpg

Then I had the frame chemically treated to remove grime, stickers and paint. Then it was phosphated to provide anti-corrosion and finally powder coated.

Here it is with the headset installed and the fork attached.

3279422910_f7329e3b6a.jpg

I gave the stem a bit of a polish with a mop. I didn't do a very good job of it, but it looks better than it did.

3385161435_8eca9860cc.jpg

Then I added guards (PITA to install), wheels, seatpost and saddle, bottom bracket and brakes. For the brakes I went with NOS Alessa single pivot as I couldn't find any cheap dual pivot in nut mount. :ohmy:

3395909232_9227a80aeb.jpg

As it's going to be a fixie, I had to elongate the rear driveside dropout. This is what it looked like before I started.

3456246276_1f737ff7b0.jpg

And this is what it looks like now. I still need to file it off nicely and slap some paint on it to stop it rusting.

3456246968_d896b1d74d.jpg

The chainline is pretty good...

3473546077_f92f1ebfeb.jpg

I built the rear wheel myself... It's a mountain bike front hub with disc brake mount that accepts bolt on sprockets (called ISO Cogs, as it uses the 6-bolt ISO disc mount).

3145563408_edf2c89d8d.jpg

I gave the bars a quick polish either side of the stem to make the bits that don't get covered in bar tape look good. I also got a Raleigh BMX head badge (sticker) off eBay. xx(

3507815033_6e542ed4e1.jpg

On go new Dia-Comp brake levers and I measure up the brake outers.

3507815377_c4ca837b21.jpg

All done (well, I forgot the toe straps)

3508626746_671493f499_o.jpg

3507816233_9b3e6196f1_o.jpg

3507816513_3138be2a6d_o.jpg

3508627770_5b2c2df52d_o.jpg

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Very nice:thumbsup: I like it.
Can i just ay though, it would look even better with an old style saddle like a Brooks or a Rolls? Oh and better pedals, but your going to add those.
What gear do you have on it?

Tel

Veteran
Yeah it does look very nice, it has a classic look.

A few questions:

Why did you decide to have front and rear brakes? I'm considering doing the same on my next fixie project mainly for aesthetics.

As the frame is only hi-ten how much does it weigh and whats the ride like?

Thats really interesting about the rear hub, I wasn't aware of that. Is that the first time you have built your own wheel?

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

Joe24 said:
Very nice:thumbsup: I like it.
Joe24 said:
Can i just ay though, it would look even better with an old style saddle like a Brooks or a Rolls? Oh and better pedals, but your going to add those.
What gear do you have on it?

thanx. never really liked brooks much. too expensive, and too 'in' at the moment! it was quite interesting riding it with flats. i've only ever ridden fixed with toe clips before. skid stops were interesting! i was looking for a set of toe clips when i bought the levers, and found these. they weren't very expensive so i thought i'd give them a go...

3508628816_581a133284_o.jpg

currently it's a relaxed 39x17T.

Radius said:
Chain's slack... (...no, really)

Nice bike.

yeah yeah... :biggrin:

Tel said:
Yeah it does look very nice, it has a classic look.

A few questions:

Why did you decide to have front and rear brakes? I'm considering doing the same on my next fixie project mainly for aesthetics.

As the frame is only hi-ten how much does it weigh and whats the ride like?

Thats really interesting about the rear hub, I wasn't aware of that. Is that the first time you have built your own wheel?

to stop the bike running away on descents! i've started doing a martial art recently, and the increased leg suppleness is playing havoc with my leg braking. so until i learn how to do it again, i need a rear brake too.

haven't weighed the bike yet, i would guess it's in the region of 10 to 12 kg. from the little i've ridden it, it seems very nice. i'll have to go out on a longer ride at the w/end and see how it goes (after the audax on saturday maybe).

yes, first time i've built a wheel. the hub / rim combo needs some less common length spokes, but i managed to assemble it all myself in a 3 cross pattern. the only problem was the final tensioning / truing. so i got my LBS to do that bit. i built the wheel with zero dish and a 180mm axel. the hub is 100mm OLN and then i use spacers to get the desited OLN. untill i built this bike, it was in a 140mm OLN frame. the raleigh is 120mm OLN.

3153654904_2af2b5903a.jpg

n.b. the photo above is when the wheel was in a different bike.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
That's a cracking job - you should take it round to the previous owner to let them see it... I bet they'd be amazed at the transformation after assuming it was junk!!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Skid stopping with no straps and not being clipped in is fun:becool:
Its either lean right forward and lock the leg behind to stop it coming forward, or stay seated, and as the pedal goes around put your foot under it and pull on it then push down with the other.
That was looks pretty darn cool:becool:
I hate riding without being clipless. The toe straps ive used never seem to hold my shoes right. What are those Power grip things like?

bonj2

I do like the bolt on sprocket to hub.

bigfella

Über Member
Another nice job there, what do you use for the seat pin bolt - just an ordinary nut and bolt? I don't want to use the old one for mine so I might just put in a nice allen stainless nut and bolt.

Also - what have you done with the gear levers?

OP
OP
zzpza

zzpza

bigfella said:
Why did you add the washers to the sprocket as I thought the chain line was originally correct?

that photo is of a different bike!

Top Bottom