Proudest Dad in Yorkshire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just adding to the recent thread about non-competitive school sports days:
Cubette and Cubester swim for a local club, and in the last 12 months have taken to it as a serious sport. Last Wednesday they swam in the local primary schools gala (9 local schools over 25 metre sprints) and Cubette took silver medal in girls' backstroke, Cubester getting a gold in backstroke and another gold in the team medley. Not bad, considering that the school which normally wins has links with Borough of Kirklees team and often feeds regional and sometimes national junior squads. Their best mate and fellow team -member Livvy took a silver in girls freestyle.

Their school took second place overall, and so we were pretty much on a high. Until yesterday.

Team Yorvik held their sprints meet at South Leeds yesterday, and our club took a team along to play out. Cubette set the standard winning a gold in girls 4x25 individual medley, silver in backstroke and swam out of her class with PBs in Free and Breast. Cubester, not to be outdone swam out of his class on IM, silver in Breast, 4th in backstroke, 5th in fly, and silver in freestyle. Both came 9th in their age group. Awesome!

Will1985

Über Member
You should be getting them on the bike Cubist! You could have a couple of budding triathletes on your hands!

On second thoughts once they discover Slowtwitch and want the latest aero gear, you'll be regretting it :smile:

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
User76 said:
I wonder where they get their natural sporting prowess from;)

Congrats to them both!!

It certainly isn't from me. I watch them training in the pool, where their schedule involves a 20-30 length warm up, before they get into the actual stroke/sprint training, and realise that at no point in my life was I ever anywhere near that fit!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Speicher said:
A 20 to 30 length warm up! :sad:

And Cubester's teachers suggest he needs to "walk more", the mind boggles.

I think you are entitled to be the Proudest Dad in Yorkshire. :ohmy:
Yep. Schedule goes up on a whiteboard at the end of the pool and they follow it to the letter. It shows, for example, 4 sets of 100m sprints, broken by increasing breaks, say 10 seconds, then 15 seconds, then 20 seconds. They may then move onto 4 or so 4x100 medleys then breath control sprints,where they swim 4 length sprints, not breathing on the first length, every 7 strokes on the second, none on the third and every 5 on the fourth. If you tot up the total 75 min workout it usually equates to anywhere between 2400m and 2800 m. They do that twice a week. There are 10 yr olds at the club who are faster than my two!

It isn't his teachers who say he needs to walk more, it's the "one size fits all" NHS eejits.

Top Bottom