Pub closures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

go_slow

accountantpete said:
Crazy isn't it. The Landlady of one of the town pubs has to pay more for her bottled beer than it is in Morrisons - but she mentioned that they have different tops or labels so that the brewery can spot if any publicans are on the "fiddle".

I think the brewery relies on people having the romantic idea about pub life and signing up for the introductory package without realising how tied in they are going to be.

Just down the road from the pub in question is a brewery that does excellent beer but they have no choice but to not stock it until they get sorted and can have "guest ales".

Arch said:
I wonder how many pubs could try and diversify a bit, especially the country ones. The Blacksmiths Arms in Naburn does (or at least did, recently) takeaway pizzas and veg boxes, and certainly still do a weekend breakfast - full English, tea, coffee and the like.

With it being hard for a village to support a shop, a cafe and a pub, why not try and work all three from one business? I'd certainly like it if more pubs were also cafes (IE served tea and coffee willingly, and some home baking), for when I'm out on the bike.

The pub in the next village to us has done its best to do that - they now do takeaway food since there is nothing like that around, works for them since it keeps the kitchen busy. They've toyed with the idea of breakfast but at the moment that would be stretching them - they dont want to take on extra staff just for it not to happen.

There is a pub in town which we really like but its a proper boozer full of locals, in less then 5 minutes of being in the place you are comfortable. But it has no beer garden, no kitchen and is small. Fingers crossed it survives but the smoking ban has been bad for them.

my almost in-law's local is also the village shop (Parwich, in the peak district) they used to run pubs but are glad they got out of it while they can, people just go with the cheap booze from tesco and as has been said, brewerys can be quite unreasonable with the amount and cost of beer etc.

Top Bottom