Pulling a truck (maths physics question)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4941800, member: 9609"]where have I went wrong with the above scribblings ?[/QUOTE]
You've forgotten to release the trailer brake. :okay:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You are forgetting to factor in the extra effort for the person in the cab to apply the brake if you do manage to get it going.:eek:

sight-pin

Veteran
"44 ton"? Unload the trailer first then. Oh!! and don't forget the O/S/R actuator on the unit.....It's booked in for new diaphragm tomorrow.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4941880, member: 76"]Right then, let's ignore the bit that will make it virtually impossible, come up with a load of cobblers numbers based on something that can't be done and are at best confused then ask if your working out may be correct.

Has Accy hacked your account?[/QUOTE]
The first part of his numbers are based on something that can be (and has been) done. Presumably the jump betwwen Joules (energy) required and Watts (Power - rate of energy use) is down to the speed at which @User9609 did his climb. (I haven't done the sums yet)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I am not a physicist, but I suspect the weak link in the exercise is the ability of the bike's rear tyre to get traction on the ground. Well before the rider has generated enough power to get the truck moving I'd expect the wheel to be spinning. If the bike was on some sort of rack-and-pinion system it might be more credible.

Pulling a truck using human power is certainly feasible - it's a regular event in Strong Man contests.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Archimedes said:
Give me a place to stand and I shall move the world
With the correct gearing you could move anything. I suspect the problem might lie in designing a frame to accommodate a sufficiently large sprocket.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
image.jpeg

There is a lorry to the right just out of shot.

Top Bottom