Punctures too often?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I get sick and tyred (that's a deliberate typo for comic effect) of punctures, as the amount of sharp pointy stuff, on the roads and paths increase at this time of year. I changed the tyres on my bikes to the sort with Kevlar / plastic shields built in, and changed the tubes for self healers. The ride dynamics change a bit ( on account of the far stiffer shielded tyres), but I figured that a punctures would cost me far more time than a slower average speed, so I happily made the compromise. Several hundred miles of puncture free riding later, and saving much more than the rubber swap cost in monetary terms, I'm as happy as the proverbial 'pig in muck'.
Still worth checking for persistent little bits digging their way into the tyres and through the 'guard' section. :cursing:

oldroadman

Veteran
EB, sorry to hear about your problems. A few suggestions. Winter is a time for a bit heavier kit, some good advice above re Kevlar reinforcing and so on. 23c is a bit narrow for most riding, despite what some people say, a 25c is a bit more comfortable and rolls as easily as narrower tyres. So when change time comes around, think about trying 25c. Look at pressures - for general riding 110psi is a bit high unless you are particularly heavy (and plenty of riding will sort that out!), drop down to 95/100 rear and 90 front. It will make the ride a lot nicer. Lastly, at change time consider latex inner tubes, which do lose pressure more easily but are very supple and will give a nicer ride. They do seem to resist better penetrations as well. Spare tube on every ride, nothing worse than messing about with patches roadside.
When I was a bot younger and competitive, all my training was on tubs, and always with two spares, so now I've got ancient, the habit sticks for my little potters, just two inners in a little package under the saddle. It's like insurance, you carry them about and hopefully nothing happens. Enjoy...welcome to the asylum!

Not had a single puncture in 4 months, touching large wooden object!

Running Giant's own brand PR-3 tyres which came stock on my Defy 1, really happy with them so far.

I would say with all puncture resistant tyres its really important to check for flints regularly and they will do you proud. I have a look over my tyres when I clean the bike/lube the chain and have dug out several impressive shards of glass to date. The Kevlar does a good job of preventing flats but you have to make sure that you don't end up with debris digging deeper and deeper through sheer laziness, there's only so much puncture resistant tyres will do.

OP
OP
Enis Baysal

Enis Baysal

really appreciate
EB, sorry to hear about your problems. A few suggestions. Winter is a time for a bit heavier kit, some good advice above re Kevlar reinforcing and so on. 23c is a bit narrow for most riding, despite what some people say, a 25c is a bit more comfortable and rolls as easily as narrower tyres. So when change time comes around, think about trying 25c. Look at pressures - for general riding 110psi is a bit high unless you are particularly heavy (and plenty of riding will sort that out!), drop down to 95/100 rear and 90 front. It will make the ride a lot nicer. Lastly, at change time consider latex inner tubes, which do lose pressure more easily but are very supple and will give a nicer ride. They do seem to resist better penetrations as well. Spare tube on every ride, nothing worse than messing about with patches roadside.
When I was a bot younger and competitive, all my training was on tubs, and always with two spares, so now I've got ancient, the habit sticks for my little potters, just two inners in a little package under the saddle. It's like insurance, you carry them about and hopefully nothing happens. Enjoy...welcome to the asylum!
the advice and i will definitely try wider tyres, and latex inner tubes are news to me i shall look them up!

Thanks all for the advice :smile:!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Latex tubes are fun but usually short-lived as they are so fragile and will find the tiniest crack or hole in your tyre and herniate out with a loud pop. Mine got punctured when the cat grabbed one and her claw went through it. They do ride superbly and the tyre makes a nice singing sound.

You can improve your ride spectacularly by buying a set of Veloflex open corsas from Ribble for £52, absolutely superb tyres with amazing wet grip and a ride as smooth as butter thanks to the 320 tpi carcass. I will never go back to another tyre again.

OP
OP
Enis Baysal

Enis Baysal

Latex tubes are fun but usually short-lived as they are so fragile and will find the tiniest crack or hole in your tyre and herniate out with a loud pop. Mine got punctured when the cat grabbed one and her claw went through it. They do ride superbly and the tyre makes a nice singing sound.

You can improve your ride spectacularly by buying a set of Veloflex open corsas from Ribble for £52, absolutely superb tyres with amazing wet grip and a ride as smooth as butter thanks to the 320 tpi carcass. I will never go back to another tyre again.
that tyre also sounds awesome i will definitely look into that! Thanks!

young Ed

Veteran
Thanks for quick response at this late hour guys^^!
oh there's always a few people running a night shift on CC to help anyone at any hour! :tongue:

as for OP, i install one bead of tyre on rim and ensure it is all properly on there. then slip the completely deflated inner tube up into tyre and ensure it is all well away from other side of rim where you have not yet installed tyre bead and then slowly but surely install other bead of tyre always ensuring to keep inner tube away from this bead and be vary careful with tyre levers .
bit of a crap explanation but i will see if i can find one of my favourite GCN vids, one mo'
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
here we go

not actually watched that one but the title sounds about right ;)

this one might also be of use, again not actually watched it but title sounds about right!

Cheers Ed

oldroadman

Veteran

An excellent recommendation. Shame I have to buy mine nowadays! A 25c with the latex would provide a really good quality ride.

Top Bottom