QR bolt thru wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
looking at changing the wheels on genesis day one disc. They are currently nutted axles and dont like having to carry a ring spanner or box spanner in the event of a puncture and wheel removal. Would like to swop to QR as i dont need the security of nutted axles. I dont leave the bike any place or commute and lock up.
Looking for a good quality wheelset, strong & durable that wilk take road, bridleways, dirt tracks, and suit 28mm to say 32mm tyres. They will need to accept discs and be QR through axles.
Recommendations would be a big help as there are just too many too choose from and options, plus good to hear about owners choices and how the wheelsets have faired up
Cheers all
Paul

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Budget?, 6bolt or centrelock?

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Budget?, 6bolt or centrelock?

Budget would be just a decent quality. I have never bought wheels so no idea of price bands. Is say a few hundred quid a good starting point for a set ?

Discs are 6 bolt

IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4346.JPG

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Mavic Aksium Disc + Fulcrum racing sport disc are around £150 there may also be a Cosine (wiggle own brand) in the same range

£150-£350 Mavic Ksyrium, Kinesis v3

Both price ranges have wheels in Wiggles Cosine brand and CRCs Prime brand.

Im a mavic fan owning both Aksium disc and Ksyrium pro disc, also rode fulcrum wheels, much like their mavic counterparts

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Mavic Aksium Disc + Fulcrum racing sport disc are around £150 there may also be a Cosine (wiggle own brand) in the same range

£150-£350 Mavic Ksyrium, Kinesis v3

Both price ranges have wheels in Wiggles Cosine brand and CRCs Prime brand.

Im a mavic fan owning both Aksium disc and Ksyrium pro disc, also rode fulcrum wheels, much like their mavic counterparts

Can the mavics be used in a single speed set up with say a White industries rear sprocket , freewheel ?

Please tell more, i like that option
What more can I say? QR axles are simply hollow axles, nothing special other than that.
Visit a good bike shop and buy some hollow front and rear axles of the equivalent diameter, usually 9 mm in front and 10 at the back (although your front one looks like 10), disassemble the wheels and do an axle transplant.
Make sure you get Shimano QRs, nothing else even gets close to those in quality.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Velosolo do some aluminium track spanners for 15mm nut. Light and easy to pack. Some are saying the rear is better of nutted, more secure on a single speed with track ends that QR would be. Need to look into this more

goody

Veteran
Just go wih the spanner, How often do you need to take the wheels off anyway, if it's very often get better tyres.
Although a new lighter wheelset would make you faster, climb better, and women would swoon at your wheel as you passed by...........

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Just go wih the spanner, How often do you need to take the wheels off anyway, if it's very often get better tyres.
Although a new lighter wheelset would make you faster, climb better, and women would swoon at your wheel as you passed by...........

Tyres are originals and no issues yet. I was thinking of a better wheelset than the ones on and thought of QR if i did but seems some of the single speed shop specialusts are against it for the rear at least

Top Bottom