Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Can anyone understand/explain to me why sitting in a pub getting shoot faced is supposed to be exciting, listening to music at such a volume you, the next morning, lose the ability to hear for a few hours !

Risking pretty much your life esp. at the end of the night due to some jerk who 'didnt like the look - way you looked at them' in a chip shop.

I've never been that kind of person - going out drinking.

WHY does it appeal - I like a drink on occasion, a laugh etc..yet I will hold my hands up and say I've done it: but the logic of its totally wrong: its a waste of money/energy/life/time...

WHY.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
+1

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Saw a program a few nights ago about single women looking for dates. The majority of the time they were in pubs etc????

Surely you are just going to meet a piss head in a pub?

If people got hobbies / interests that didn't revolve around paying for alcohol, got them out and active, they'd be fitter, and would meet someone with similar interests, not someone that props up the bar at the local.

I always thought I was some kind of alien thinking like I do, nice to know I'm not alone.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
+1

What also really annoys me are those pubs that insist on playing music at ear-splitting volume so that you have to shout at each other to be heard. I don't go out to the pub much, but when I do it's usually because I'm meeting up with an old friend who's up for a few days and we catch up over a nice pint or two. But there are fewer and fewer places where you can converse.

I mean, it's not as if these places are full of teens who don't seem to mind that kind of thing; they're local pubs with a mainly 30+ clientele, serving real ales and gastro-pub grub.

When they start turning the music up even louder so it can be heard above the people who're having to shout to be heard over the music, it just develops into a vicious circle. It's almost as if they want a pub full of people just standing staring at each other because they can't hear what anyone says.

If only more pubs would take a leaf out of Wetherspoons' no-music book !

Night Train

Maker of Things
+1
I used to get people, mostly women, who would tell me I was mad for internet dating as I was only going to meet nutters online. They would then go to the pub or club at a weekend, get drunk, get off with a bloke who is also drunk and then think it is a great relationship until they find their bloke is down the pub with their mates and drunk all the time!

The few times I go to loud music pubs now I always take and use ear plugs. I use them in my workshop where it is noisy for less time and the decibel level is lower so why not the pub.

jassy-x

goo_mason said:
If only more pubs would take a leaf out of Wetherspoons' no-music book !
...sorry Goo..disagree with that one....can't stand Wetherspoons pubs myself...big busy bars full of people talking (loudly)...no music...cheap drink...they attract more 'nutters' than the average pub...definately not what I would class as a comfortable atmosphere....at least none of the one's I've been in...
...would agree with you guys that there is much more to life than sitting in pubs boozing...I do like to nip into the 'local' for a quick pint or to watch the footy with a couple of mates...but if I feel like getting pissed on occasion well 'there's no place like home' for me....

Noodley

Pubs are fine IMO. Meeting mates and having a laugh. I don't like loud music places and never have, but I used to get pissed quite a bit when I was younger. All part of who I am now. I would never criticise anyone else for not doing it nor say it was a good idea, but 'hey ho' and all that.

There does seem to be a growing trend towards getting pissed at home then going out.

jassy-x

Noodley said:
Pubs are fine IMO. Meeting mates and having a laugh. I don't like loud music places and never have, but I used to get pissed quite a bit when I was younger. All part of who I am now. I would never criticise anyone else for not doing it nor say it was a good idea, but 'hey ho' and all that.
......got to agree Noodley....wasn't exactly an 'angel' in my younger days either......but I do like loud music, but it has to be in the form of a live band...not all that dance shite you get in the 'trendy' pubs.....

Noodley

Looking at the stats for Scotland and alcohol misuse is quite depressing, in regards to violence and illness.

I think the Scottish Government are heading in the right direction. I hope it will progress in the same way as smoking has.

Bigtallfatbloke

I won't even go into a place where the 'music' is so loud, unless it is a good live band and then mostly I go on my own so talking isn't an issue. Getting drunk for the sake of it isn't cool anymore...if it ever was.

Noodley

The main problem with loud music is when it stops and you are still shouting. Especially if you are shouting something along the lines of "I reckon I could take the doorman" :thumbsdown:

Noodley

User3143 said:
Usually the people that need to go to a pub and get shoot faced are the most boring people you could ever meet.

There are loads of people who go out and get drunk who are very personable. Let's not try to generalise. If we do, we'll be moving away from a friendly cafe chat towards Politics and Life (and we all know how mad they are :thumbsdown:)

Top Bottom