Quiz of the day 2 - Armstrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Back in December 2008, around the time of the Astana training camp, Pro-Cycling magazine, having asked its readers to suggest questions for Lance Armstrong - asked Mr Armstrong a selection of them, these were then published in the February 2009 issue.

Here's the one that's been niggling me;

Procycling: Why should I take the relationship with Don Catlin seriously, when at the time I'm writing this question you have no legal agreement in place with him?

Lance Armstrong: There's no point in me sitting down with Procycling if these are your readers, because they don't want to read about me, and I don't want to talk to them. ... This is what is always so interesting about the blacklist - you have a lot of demands on your time. Do you want to talk to this person, or that person? Is their magazine available in Europe? In the US? Do you want to sit down with them? You have all these demands, but you can't do all of them. Naturally you're going to put certain people at the top of the list and others at the bottom. ... That's normal and natural. But you see these - and no offence to the questions, they're great questions - but there's probably no need for me to be available.
(P50-51, Issue 121 Feb 2009)

Now read the NYT article about this - Catlin says[1] that they'd not analysed *any* of Armstrong's samples before ending the agreement with him. Catlin's group[2] says they only managed to take one sample in that time. And yet, here's Mr. Armstrong getting shirty with Pro-Cycling, presumably knowing the status of his anti-doping programme with Catlin.

Why? Why not say "We're finding it difficult to work things out" or "It's not been as easy as we'd figured at first"? Why the evasion? Why the injured pride and the seeming threat to blacklist the magazine?

[1]
Don Catlin, the prominent antidoping scientist who was supposed to run Armstrong’s program, said Wednesday that they had decided earlier in the day to part ways, without Catlin’s analyzing a single blood or urine sample from Armstrong.
[2]
Only one sample was taken, said Oliver Catlin, the chief executive of the Anti-Doping Sciences Institute, Don Catlin’s for-profit laboratory based near Los Angeles.

Tetedelacourse

It all sounds hopeless in the fight against doping doesn't it?

Noodley

John the Monkey said:
Lance Armstrong: There's no point in me sitting down with Procycling if these are your readers, because they don't want to read about me, and I don't want to talk to them. ...

Sounds like a perfect cue to tell him to f*** off then and then print a whole magazine about how little he really cares about cycling and cycling fans unless they worship him.

Then detail all his 'shortcomings'..it'd have been a pretty big magazine mind.

Tetedelacourse

John the Monkey said:
Felt like it was going somewhere last season, tbh Tete.

Not sure about it this season at all.

Me too John. What's that Who song? Wont Get Fooled Again... turns out yes I will:sad:

I like to think I strive to look objectively at our sport and our pros, try to give everyone a chance, try to presume innocent until proven guilty, try to avoid the cynicism of others on here and in the broader spectrum of fans. But it gets harder every year.

I also took the approach that OK maybe they're all at it but it's still great entertainment, but even that seems tired and trying to fool myself.

As far as valv.piti is concerned, pff that fella's had the marks in his arms results for all to see since OP.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ESPN Columnist points out that the timeline and Armstrong's answers regarding testing don't add up;

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/columns/story?columnist=ford_bonnie_d&id=3904480

OK, you may say. Armstrong is still being tested, and that's the key, right? But there's one problem with the sequence of events. Less than a month ago, Armstrong and Astana unequivocally stated that the Catlin program was in place.

Rewind the tape back to Jan. 17, when Armstrong held a press conference in Adelaide, Australia, on the eve of his first comeback race, the Tour Down Under. Here is an exchange that came early in the hour-long session.

ESPN.com: Lance, we're all in a bit of suspense over whether your arrangement with Don Catlin is formalized yet --

Armstrong: [Interrupting] It is.
ESPN.com: Can you talk about what the specifics of that are, and why it took so long to get the deal done?
Armstrong: It's formalized. It's under way. It is the most comprehensive anti-doping plan in the history of sport. I'm proud of it.

The irony is that no one was pressuring Armstrong to paint himself into a corner by promising an extra layer of testing. All anyone in cycling would have asked was that he play by the same rules as everyone else. He does that by submitting to testing by national and international agencies.

Top Bottom