Rabbits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunately, I am allergic to wabbits. Only wabbits, not dogs or cats or guinea pigs but wabbits. I know not why. I discovered this when my Auntie got a big white one which I picked up. Apart from the fact it hoofed me in the stomach, my eyes began to stream and I began to sneeze uncontrollably. I can not go into pet shops for the same reason, unless of course they don't sell wabbits. Also, I may have watched too many Elmer Fudd cartoons; pesky wabbits.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Unfortunately, I am allergic to wabbits. Only wabbits, not dogs or cats or guinea pigs but wabbits. I know not why. I discovered this when my Auntie got a big white one which I picked up. Apart from the fact it hoofed me in the stomach, my eyes began to stream and I began to sneeze uncontrollably. I can not go into pet shops for the same reason, unless of course they don't sell wabbits. Also, I may have watched too many Elmer Fudd cartoons; pesky wabbits.
Rabbit stew is effing lovely

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Apparently it’s often the rabbit's saliva people are allergic to, and they are constantly grooming, so it’s not enough to avoid kissing them.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
So when are we gonna sort out this Schoenberg v. Stockhausen thing?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Fried, my friends, fried. Used to use a flour preparation for the dredge called "Kentucky Colonel", tasted like you know who's supposedly secret recipe. (Which you can also find on the web, worst kept secret in the food industry.)
THE ORIGINAL 11 SPICES SECRET RECIPE?
Prep: 30 minutes

Soak: 20-30 minutes

Cook: 15-18 minutes

Makes: 4 servings

2 cups all-purpose flour

2/3 tablespoon salt

1/2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves

1/2 tablespoon dried basil leaves

1/3 tablespoon dried oregano leaves

1 tablespoon celery salt

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon dried mustard

4 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons garlic salt

1 tablespoon ground ginger

3 tablespoons ground white pepper

1 cup buttermilk

1 egg, beaten

1 chicken, cut up, the breast pieces cut in half for more even frying

Expeller-pressed canola oil

1 Mix the flour in a bowl with all the herbs and spices; set aside.

2 Mix the buttermilk and egg together in a separate bowl until combined. Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture at room temperature, 20-30 minutes.

3 Remove chicken from the buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off. Dip the chicken pieces in the herb-spice-flour mixture to coat all sides, shaking off excess. Allow to sit on a rack over a baking sheet, 20 minutes.

4 Meanwhile, heat about 3 inches of the oil in a large Dutch oven (or similar heavy pot with high sides) over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. (Use a deep-frying thermometer to check the temperature.) When temperature is reached, lower the heat to medium to maintain it at 350. Fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time, being careful not to crowd the pot. Fry until medium golden brown, turning once, 15-18 minutes. Transfer chicken pieces to a baking sheet covered with paper towels. Allow the oil to return to temperature before adding more chicken. Repeat with remaining chicken.

- The Chicago Tribune

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scrapbook-belonging-nephew.html#ixzz4Yl9PjIY4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Unlike other recipes, this one has herbs and spices that would have been available in the bland kitchens and stores in the States at the time.(50's and 60's, anyway, I was there.) Oh, and at the time, I believe lard was used for frying, followed by vegetable oil. I never saw much canola cultivation, and to be honest, canola was not developed from rapeseed until the 1970's in Canada, IIRC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom