Radio absences of Michael Jackson!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just heard a MJ song Annie by alien ant farm. It struck me that I've not heard a Michael Jackson song sung by the man himself on mainstream radio Channel for awhile. Is there a kind of inappropriateness of playing his music directly due to allegations? I mean I think I've heard more covers than original versions for some time I think.

What do you think? Is there any artist who's music is uncommon except as a cover by someone else for a reason?

PS I have no interest in any unproven allegations against anyone or a view on it. I'm only interested if the modern times have created censorship of the artist but not their music via a safer cover version. I'm curious really.

Venod

Eh up
Heard several MJ songs on GHR.

It's Smooth Criminal not Annie!

I don't think there is, I haven't heard an 'Enya' song for a while either and I don't think she's too controversial.

Good evening,

Gary Glitter springs to mind, a lot of Slade, Sweet, Mud, Suzi Q get played and shown on the various pop music channels so it is unlikely that there is nothing available.

The Glitter Band also seem to be absent and they did a few Top Of The Pops performances.

I was really surprised to hear Oliver's Army bleeped for white nigger.

Bye

Ian

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Classic pop doesn’t seem to have the longevity that classic rock has.

There are so many niche radio stations now that it is very easy to avoid the stuff you don’t like.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I got the distinct impression that Jackson's death had given his reputation a bit of a hard reset. That being said, I can't answer the OP's question as I don't listen to the radio.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I did hear a song by MJ recently then I realised he was still part of the Jackson 5 when it came out which made me wonder too. Considering he was a squeaky young boy then, and definitely dead now, it was rather poignant.

I had been around before he was born, and lived to hear about his untimely demise. I heard about it on the radio while I was at work on a night shift. I rang my teenage daughter to tell her to put the news on, as she had been a fan since she was a little girl. Perhaps for many people this was a Kennedy assassination/Princess Diana moment, when they can tell you exactly what they were doing when they heard the news. For a vastly greater number, it had no significance.

His music was part of many people's lives for a goodly number of years and with his music, dance and effective use of video was groundbreaking for its time. Perhaps that is the thing -it was of it's time, and maybe doesn't find a resonance with modern audiences. Those that liked his music, probably still like it as it was as part of their lives when they were young and carefree, but the cloud that rolled over his private life in later years most likely wiped out his appeal to fresh listeners, and maybe many existing ones. Like me, many people of a certain age are probably ambivalent about him. What would he be doing now if he'd lived? Perhaps his creative spark would have fizzled out after years of abuse of prescription drugs. Perhaps he'd be serving a long prison sentence.

At some times in his life, a brilliant showman and performer with mass appeal, but deeply, deeply flawed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
An interesting summation @a.twiddler . If he'd lived he might have carried on with the abuse like Glitter, who knows, although he might have found it rather more difficult.
His estate have spent tons trying to clean up his image and night have succeeded to a degree.
He was very talented and I still like playing his stuff.

Top Bottom