Raleigh Richmond c1980s Reynolds 531

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

Nope you have the changers on the stem just leave them there. They are easier to see and use rather than on the down tube. But you could change to a band on down tube shifter if you wanted to. But why bother?

Richmond here with drops fitted. Not as nice as yours though.
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item335f6f3b4f

How would you find out which size drop bars to get? Im kinda new to this biking malarkey.

stevevw

Guru
take your old bars off and measure the dia where it clamps to the stem. Then all you have to do is decide how wide you want the bars (usually sholder width) and what style you want.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Can anyone tell me how many gears I have?

Simple equation

Single chainset front + single ringed cassette on back = Fixie (fixed single drive)

Single chainset front + 6 ringed cassette on back = 6 gears 

Double chainset front + 6 ringed cassette on back = 12 gears 

Tripple chainset front + 6 ringed cassette on back = 18 gears

So you match the front chainset to the rear cassette to give you the amount of gears a bike has  :thumbsup:

Norm

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

Simple equation

Single chainset front + single ringed cassette on back = Fixie (fixed single drive)

Single chainset front + 6 ringed cassette on back = 6 gears

Double chainset front + 6 ringed cassette on back = 12 gears

Tripple chainset front + 6 ringed cassette on back = 18 gears

So you match the front chainset to the rear cassette to give you the amount of gears a bike has :thumbsup:

Norm
Thanks!, if i have a single chainset can i convert to a double or triple?

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

converted to drop bars YAY!

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

added cinelli criterium bars, campagnolo super record brake levers, brown cloth tape and brooks bar plugs which incidentally are really really rubbish. They broke on the first ride, please everyone save your money and never buy brooks bar plugs.

astrocan

Veteran
I'm liking the look of these and my wifes old bike is a mixtey framed Richmond.
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a deraileur that would look right?
Ideally a Suntor but anything suitable would be acceptable.

porteous

Veteran
501 Richmonds are nice bikes. They were made in the old Carlton factory and have a different number to the normal Raleigh system (At least, my wife's 5 speed does). Bought around 1990 I think, and never altered.

nx6q6f.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm liking the look of these and my wifes old bike is a mixtey framed Richmond.
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a deraileur that would look right?
Ideally a Suntor but anything suitable would be acceptable.

I have a Suntour AR front and ARX rear mech in my bits box that came off an early 80s Coventry Eagle. Not quite in concourse condition but as far as I can see, not bent and still works perfectly. Could put some pictures up, if you like

The shifter, sadly, came apart in my hands when I removed it and while it may still be reassemblable by someone who knows what order all the plates and washers go on in, that person is not me. Even assuming I found and have kept all the bits

Top Bottom