Raleigh Touriste

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been struggling to find anything interesting (in my price range, so in desperation almost, picked this up.
IMAG0246_zpsyszdffxj.jpg

It's been round the world a few times, but I thought it might be a cheap way to move a Carlton frame project on a bit.
After giving it a bit of a look over it didn't appear so bad, apart from a bit of rust bubbling up on the front of the top tube. I don't know what to do with it now, I feel I should investigate the rust problem but that would involve a bit of paint removal.
On the plus side, underneath the ratty old seat cover I found a v.tidy B17 saddle, so it basically owes me nothing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, check the rust. It might make another project for someone. Raleigh has its fans.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
yes it's 531 main tubes - and quite light too, it weighs in at just under 12kg with rear rack and guards attached.
The serial number is B29071 - not seen a B prefix before, what does it mean?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeymustard
At least they kept the W prefix for a reason [i.e. implying that the "Lightweight Division" was the same as Carlton's factory]. They'd also had a stable numbering system for a good 17 years by 1990 to be fair to them.
I did a little trawling before I went to bed last night and found a few mentions of randonneur, royal and touriste models having similar frame numbers (particularly this ctc thread), they start with a letter then a number and then possibly manuf date - mine seems to date to 1990 (crank arm code OG), I haven't found enough numbers to be sure though, is there a Randonneur register maybe?

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Well I widened my search this morning, looking at other Special Products Division bikes such as the Dynatech frames and M-Trax mtb's and it seems that my first thoughts about the frame number date were wrong, it seems a couple of coincidentally numbered frames led me down a blind alley!
It looks like the prefix letter on these bikes is actually the date code, with A starting out in '89 or '90 going up to (the highest I've found) K being probably 2000.

I found several SN's on the YACF forum

Top Bottom