Ratio's for climbing Alpe d'Huez

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigGee

Yes BigGee, my point exactly, I'd normally attempt it on my 28front to 30 dinner plate at back…on my Raleigh Randonneur which weighs in at 16kg once I'm good to go… and just spin my way up at 70-80rpm. This would take longer - but I'd not be walking. Also - haste ye back! The Grampian Mountains miss you :-)

I would love to get back up there and will one of these days. I took bikes up there twice, once on the road bike as I described and once I cycled from Glasgow to Banchory over a couple of days on the tourer. I got as far as Pitlochery the first day and on the next went over Gleenshee then down Deeside to Banchory. The weather was awful, it was mid October and I got caught in a blizzard half way up Gleenshee, by the time I got to the top there was a couple of inches of snow lying, I could not believe it! It ended up being the coldest and hairiest descent I have ever done, trying to keep my wheel in the car tracks and keep the bike upright. I think I have some idea how Andy Hampsted felt on the Gavia all those years ago and how they felt today!

I was absolutely soaked and frozen by the time I got to Banchory that night but the next day my friend invited me to play rugby for Aboyne rugby club against Inverurie. It was an offer I could not resist and turned out at No.8 for them. We won and I scored three tries, a good night was had by all! Oh to be young and that fit again but it remains a place I have great memories of and I will definitely be back up there at some stage, with suitable gearing on the bike!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There *is* a way to do it with an 8 speed cassette though (Shimergo/Hubbub) if the OP was desperate. Sacrilege on a Bianchi thobbut.
I have heard of Shimergo but not Hubbub. I can't see how a Shimano cassette could ever be made to work with a Campagnolo hub, so surely it would mean buying a new rear wheel? And doing the Shimergo bodge ...

PpPete

Legendary Member
I have heard of Shimergo but not Hubbub. I can't see how a Shimano cassette could ever be made to work with a Campagnolo hub, so surely it would mean buying a new rear wheel? And doing the Shimergo bodge ...
The Hubbub thing is explained on CTC's Shimergo page. But you are right about the wheel of course. Didnt think of that because I have enough wheels of both flavours not to have to worry about it.

Trull

Über Member
I changed my 53/39 11-25 10sp Veloce for 50/34 13-29 and that got me up the Alpe DHuez twice last year (The second after the Glandon, Galbier, etc, the Marmotte). I was going to take my Scandium bike with 52/38 (changing the 38 for a 36) and a 11-28 Shimano cassette but the bikes chain stays cracked just before; I'm glad though I was pushed into the even lower Veloce gearing.

OK I'll look for that ratio cassette and give it a whirl.

Top Bottom