Rear Wheel Spoke Tension.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

All of the spokes on the non-drive side on the rear wheel of my Felt F95 seem under considerably less tension than the drive side. They're only the factory built wheels that the bike came with, but I am unsure if the tension should be different side to side.

All the non-drive side spokes seem to be fairly consistently tensioned, just not as much as the drive side. Is it usual to have differing tensions? There is no fancy lacing with the spokes, just a regular three cross set-up.

Must admit that I have noticed the slightest flexing in the wheel if I stand while climbing, but can't decide if this has always been present to a degree, or if I am now sub-consciously trying to notice these issues.

Any tips about spoke tensions on both sides of a wheel gladly accepted, thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The left hand spokes have to be tensioned more than the right side (please see below) (this assumes there are an equal number on both sides) as the dishing of the wheel means the angle the spokes on the left make with the wheel plane (ie fore/aft) is more acute (ie less). I will find you a post which discusses this but from memory 1400N and 1000N tension come to mind.
EDIT: After @I like Skol post (below) please note "The right hand spokes (the drive side) have to be tensioned more than the left (NDS) side." Have always found left and right a challenge: but YS will jump on NDS.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have a read of this thread - from Page 3 onwards. The post below has graphs. (Pleased to have remembered 1000N/1400N! though of course without a calibrated tension meter it matters little.)

View attachment 122416

Graph 1:
32-spoke wheel, only right side spokes numbered. Right spokes on top of graph, left spokes at bottom of graph.
Spokes 1 and 16 at valve hole, hence less tension.
Anomalies at spokes 5 and 13 regions due to rim imperfections.
Anomaly at spoke 8 due to welded rim joint.

View attachment 122417

Graph 2: Same as Graph 1 but with wheel with permanent buckle in the rim at spoke 4 region.

View attachment 122418

Graph 3: Shows standard rear wheel with one or two anomalies but built with Campag hub that has a higher left-right tension differentiation than Shimano hubs.

View attachment 122419

Graph 4: Wishfull thinking wheel. Perfectly even spoke tension left and right. Not a real wheel.

Top Bottom