Recommend me a turbo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Hope you enjoy it I have a Tacx Satori - you may find it boring but what really made a difference to my turbo sessions was Sufferfest

medavidcook

Well, the Tacx flow is set up in the garage, after a fair amount of cursing (and me misreading the little picture until OH came and sorted me out! :wacko:). Bike set up with skewer, computer etc.

And I can't use it yet because the s**ing thing has a European plug on it so I can't plug it in! :angry:

Decathlon are sending me an adaptor free, but that won't arrive until Wednesday. :angry:

How are you getting on with the Tacx Flow? I am looking at getting a trainer as this is one of the many i am considering.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
OK once set up. I'm not a dedicated training person - I bought it mainly to make sure I got some exercise on grotty days. Not really got the hang of the computer yet, but that's more to do with not reading the manual!
If you are ordering over the internet, worth making sure it has the correct plug or that an adapter is supplied...

Blue

Legendary Member
I've got a Tacx Flow and I wouldn't recommend it on the basis that the wire at the back of the machine pulled out (nothing happened in particular, no one tripped over it or anything) and I had to take it to a sparky to get fixed. £250 unit and tacx wouldn't fix it. Was only just over a year old. That said, since being fixed and with a load of electrical tape it's been running for 3 years. Otherwise I like it but I just can't recommend it, it's clearly a weak point.
I think you were unlucky. I have been using my Flow on a regular basis for more than a year and have never had a problem with the wires, or anything else for that matter. Glad to hear you got going in the end :thumbsup:.

Blue

Legendary Member
OK once set up. I'm not a dedicated training person - I bought it mainly to make sure I got some exercise on grotty days. Not really got the hang of the computer yet, but that's more to do with not reading the manual!
If you are ordering over the internet, worth making sure it has the correct plug or that an adapter is supplied...
Not reading the manual is a very 'male' thing. However, the computer is easy once the instructions are read and understood.

If you intend to use the power aspect it may be worth remembering to calibrate to '0' before every ride.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
I opted for the bkool as i really like the VR Element..for me it provides great motivation

Combi

I've got a Minoura V130 and a Tacx Bluemotion - both relatively cheap and both very good. Would recommend either...

Have you used the Live Training app with the Minoura yet? I've been using my V130 for nigh on 6 months with videos. Nice, smooth resistance and very quiet. However, after purchasing the thing to work with its app I still haven't laid out the cash for the extra bits (ANT sensor, Wahoo dongle) 'cause I'm not sure it'll be worth the extra ~£100 for "simulated" rides.

Have you used the Live Training app with the Minoura yet? I've been using my V130 for nigh on 6 months with videos. Nice, smooth resistance and very quiet. However, after purchasing the thing to work with its app I still haven't laid out the cash for the extra bits (ANT sensor, Wahoo dongle) 'cause I'm not sure it'll be worth the extra ~£100 for "simulated" rides.

I'm inclined to agree. I just use the mine on a fixed resistance setting and use gears/cadence to vary the effort, like you would on the road. Sufferfest vids usually provide the entertainment...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I honestly don't understand the need for sufferfest or any virtual reality stuff. Now it may just be me but I perceive any of that stuff as a distraction and detriment to serious training.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That's what I used to think, too. I find I am spending longer and working harder on the turbo using those vids, than I ever did when I just had a session written down on a bit of paper.

But they are always the same session, they are not progressive (except in terms of pushing at a % of your max, the volume and overall intensity is static) and don't really build into a proper training programme.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, however there are many different sessions you can do to focus on threshold power. So limiting yourself to a 2x20 min session is as daft as using the same sufferfest, i.e. doing the same sessions, over and over, season long, is daft whether it is sufferfest or some other traditional session.

Of course you could just do the sufferfest at the appropriate time or now and then (and the smarter people probably do), but lets face it, most people will do the same video or cycle the same few video's over and over.

Top Bottom