redditch to Birmingham via canals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary221281

Regular
Hi I'm new to all this cycling malarkey I don't even have a bike yet. I'm 33 years old from Redditch and I've been challenged to cycle to Birmingham along the canal I just wanted a bit of advice what would be the best type of bike for a bike ride along the canal also what's the rough distance of the journey along the canal any advice would be great thanks in advance.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Gary.

I can't offer advice about the route but in terms of bikes, there is a huge choice of machines that will do the job. Here are a few things to think about:

• If new to cycling you might find it easier to get on with straight handlebars rather than drops.
  • Canal towpaths can be very variable in terms of surface so I'd suggest a bike with touring style tyres (treaded but not knobbly like a mountain bike) which can cope with most surfaces but will also roll easily on the road.
  • Don't know what your budget is but I would suggest avoiding suspension if buying at the cheaper end of the range.
  • Are you going to carry luggage? It's more comfortable to mount it on the bike instead of wearing a rucksack.
  • Mudguards? Not considered cool by some....... but on the other hand it's not always mud.
  • Gears? Look at the spread of the gears not just how many the bike has. You'll get plenty of advice on here when you ask.:okay:
I hope this helps for starters. Keep us posted.^_^

hedder2212

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.
Once you've done Redditch to Birmingham you'll be doing even more miles.
+1 on what is said above.

OP
OP
gary221281

gary221281

Regular
Hi and :welcome: Gary.

I can't offer advice about the route but in terms of bikes, there is a huge choice of machines that will do the job. Here are a few things to think about:

• If new to cycling you might find it easier to get on with straight handlebars rather than drops.
  • Canal towpaths can be very variable in terms of surface so I'd suggest a bike with touring style tyres (treaded but not knobbly like a mountain bike) which can cope with most surfaces but will also roll easily on the road.
  • Don't know what your budget is but I would suggest avoiding suspension if buying at the cheaper end of the range.
  • Are you going to carry luggage? It's more comfortable to mount it on the bike instead of wearing a rucksack.
  • Mudguards? Not considered cool by some....... but on the other hand it's not always mud.
  • Gears? Look at the spread of the gears not just how many the bike has. You'll get plenty of advice on here when you ask.:okay:
I hope this helps for starters. Keep us posted.^_^

cheers everyone for tips & advice.

Hi I'm new to all this cycling malarkey I don't even have a bike yet. I'm 33 years old from Redditch and I've been challenged to cycle to Birmingham along the canal I just wanted a bit of advice what would be the best type of bike for a bike ride along the canal also what's the rough distance of the journey along the canal any advice would be great thanks in advance.
welcome Gary

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I used to live in Barnt Green and commuted along the Worcs - Brum canal every day to the city centre. It is a lovely ride and I only wished I'd found it sooner having previously done 6 months along the A38 instead :eek:!

Used to do lanes through Hopwood up Wast Hills, then through the housing estate to join the canal at the N end of that long tunnel at Hawkesley. From Redditch it's prob more direct to ride Sustrans route 55 on lanes via Weatheroak Hill and Forhill and join the canal where I did at Hawkesley. Forhill is a bit of a beast but if a flatlander like me can manage it on a fully loaded hybrid- anyone can :okay:

OP
OP
gary221281

gary221281

Regular
I used to live in Barnt Green and commuted along the Worcs - Brum canal every day to the city centre. It is a lovely ride and I only wished I'd found it sooner having previously done 6 months along the A38 instead :eek:!

Used to do lanes through Hopwood up Wast Hills, then through the housing estate to join the canal at the N end of that long tunnel at Hawkesley. From Redditch it's prob more direct to ride Sustrans route 55 on lanes via Weatheroak Hill and Forhill and join the canal where I did at Hawkesley. Forhill is a bit of a beast but if a flatlander like me can manage it on a fully loaded hybrid- anyone can :okay:
Cheers glow worm is it possible to stick solely to the canal path after the housing estate on route to Birmingham?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
As Mr P says it's a breeze along the towpath- you'll be fine.
I do remember getting a few punctures, but those were the days before I'd discovered Schwalbe Marathons!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
As an ex Redditch fella, I'd say if in Redditch "New Town" I'd go up following the lanes towards Beoley crossroads and then roughly following the old Roman Icknieid (Ryknield) Street (The Swan,Coach and Horses. Still there?) to Hawthorn, a.k.a Kings Norton. If on the Redditch "Old Town" grab the canal at Alvechurch or by the hump bridge by Bittlel Reservoir closer to Barnt Green (Bittel Road, B1420).

But don't try it with a mountain type bike with suspension. You'll feel sea sick by the time you hit/fall in Gas Street Basin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom