Removing painted decals - how?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've finished the Principia TT2 Light build from the part-complete bike that I bought last summer. The semi-fitted Tiagra groupset has been swapped for an Ultegra/105 mix with the Deda Parabolica bars swapped for some more streamlined Profile Design ones. It's gone 10-speed with ADR front and rear carbon wheels. Basic photo of now:

DSCF4198_zpszhhcjpuy.jpg

However ... the original decals are still there and I don't want to re-spray it. I've removed the team decals without any marks left as these were plastic. The Principia decals are painted on and I've got replacements printed

How could these be removed easily without taking the lower layer off? Any thoughts?

DSCF4199_zpsrukkctzr.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are they under a layer of lacquer? They must be decals, not paint. If they are lacquered over you'll have to rub back to the undercoat then re-lacquer. Try asking the very excellent Neil at Atlantic Boulevard in Bury.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So if they are painted onto the lacquer you will need to find a solvent, which might damage the lacquer, or abrade them, which will damage the lacquer. So either way, why not chat with Neil about re-lacquering the frame afterwards?

This is the Roubaix SL3 we have for sale and he re-lacquered for us. He does quite a lot of tired frames. It looks absolutely stunning.

Edit: if you only want to restore the painted name, he can do that as well.

20160107_210639_zps1bgimozq.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
We used to use a soft oven cleaner type sponge thing for removing sign writing off of vans etc.

You could very gentle try thinners, if the laquer is twin pack and the letters single it will work fine.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I've finished the Principia TT2 Light build from the part-complete bike that I bought last summer. The semi-fitted Tiagra groupset has been swapped for an Ultegra/105 mix with the Deda Parabolica bars swapped for some more streamlined Profile Design ones. It's gone 10-speed with ADR front and rear carbon wheels. Basic photo of now:

DSCF4198_zpszhhcjpuy.jpg

However ... the original decals are still there and I don't want to re-spray it. I've removed the team decals without any marks left as these were plastic. The Principia decals are painted on and I've got replacements printed

How could these be removed easily without taking the lower layer off? Any thoughts?

DSCF4199_zpsrukkctzr.jpg
The build looks good....

Citius

They're definately paint, but painted over the black laquer. That's what I'm finding odd about them.

Are you sure that's paint - it looks like decals to me. I know you said it is - but the pictures, and the way the lettering has flaked in places - really suggest otherwise.

Top Bottom