renewing a photocard driving licence...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
The photocard driving licence is up for its 10 year renewal and I cant find the paper counterpart which also needs sending along with the photocard. (and £20).

Cant find the paper counterpart for love nor money - has anyone renewed their photocard licence without sending the paper counterpart?

complete pain renewing the licence!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Look for the tick box that says that you've lost it instead.....

See here

machew

Veteran
DVLA link

You won’t be able to apply by phone if you are a paper licence holder or if your photo is due to expire or has expired.
Apply by post
You’ll need to:
  • fill in the D1 ‘application for a driving licence’, available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office® branches
  • include the part of your licence you have if only one part is missing
  • send your application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB
You’ll also need to provide original documents to confirm your new name if it’s changed since your last licence was issued.
You won’t be able to apply by phone if you are a paper licence holder or if your photo is due to expire or has expired.
Apply by post
You’ll need to:
  • fill in the D1 ‘application for a driving licence’, available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office® branches
  • include the part of your licence you have if only one part is missing
  • send your application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB
You’ll also need to provide original documents to confirm your new name if it’s changed since your last licence was issued.

subaqua

What’s the point
i kept my old photocard licence when ni renewed and ticked the lost box . reason- its a gained pre 1997 licence and has the towing bits grandfathered in. i know of several people who have mysteriuosly lost the towing bit and have had to take a towing test.

having proof makes it easier to get reinstated if it does go boobs skyward

machew

Veteran
i kept my old photocard licence when ni renewed and ticked the lost box . reason- its a gained pre 1997 licence and has the towing bits grandfathered in. i know of several people who have mysteriuosly lost the towing bit and have had to take a towing test.

My cousin moved to France and changed her license from a UK one to a French one, The DLVA (or whatever the french version is) screwed up and as a result she is certified to drive everything

simon.r

Person

Similar tales abound in the motorcycling world, of people who've lost the motorcycle bit and had to re-take tests. One of the reasons I've still not got a photo licence, though it's becoming more difficult to convince people that my old pink and green paper licence is still valid and legal!

PBancroft

I mysteriously lost the motorcycling bit. Was very hacked off about that as was about to buy a bike - shelved that for now and will retake the tests.

Can you imagine the outcry if the licence lost the car driving part?

ASC1951

Guru
I mysteriously lost the motorcycling bit. Was very hacked off about that as was about to buy a bike - shelved that for now and will retake the tests.
Er, why didn't you just ask DVLA to produce a copy of your previous licence?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
How can you lose the motorcycling bit... I passed it in 1977 and just assumed it was there for ever... how much more inefficient can HMG get?

Edit:
Look on the back of your photocard it lists everything you are legally qualified to drive and their start finish dates.

subaqua

What’s the point
Er, why didn't you just ask DVLA to produce a copy of your previous licence?
try and get any government quasi autonomous agency to produce original stuff . nigh on impossible. even a photocopy of your own licence isn't proof that you held the entitlements. thats what you get when you outsource stuff.

it doesn't cost any more to renew if you have "lost" the licence but its a good safeguard against losing things thet were on it

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

I also ticked the 'lost' option so I could keep the original because I didn't trust them not to lose it or make a dogs dinner of my entitlements. If you return the original and they make a mistake then you are at the mercy of their 'records' which will obviously record what they want them to and not necessarily the truth!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I had to renew mine a few weeks back and regret using the local Post Office. It said it would be £20, so I went down with credit card, stood in line for ages:sad:, finally got to the counter where they have a digital photo booth so they can do your pic. I only had £10 in loose change on me and was told that they didn't accept credit cards:cursing:. So I had to rush out to a nearby cash machine. It also cost me a 'processing fee' of £4 more in the Post Office - talk about stealth taxes!!.

Motto: Don't use the Post Office. No wonder they are losing money.

Top Bottom