Repairing plastic mudguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Heat might work but you would be better pulling the mudguard from the bottom or adjusting the stays so they push the rear of the mudguard outwards to pull the kinks out, is that shiny strip down the middle metal or plastic?

midlife

Guru
Blue and chrome, nice combo :smile:. What bike is it?

Does the kink go when you take the mudguard off ?

Shaun

screenman

Legendary Member
If you use heat no need to wait for it to cool, just warm, shape and spray with cool water.

I do plastic bumpers most days using this method.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
[QUOTE 4475837, member: 43827"]Chrome strip is plastic.

The bike is a 1976 Viscount Aerospace Victor. I believe the mudguards are original equipment

I haven't had the mudguards off yet, but will try that and adjusting the stays before using heat. I can see the thinking behind adjusting the stays now.

View attachment 144793 [/QUOTE]

Very smart looking bike, I sold a viscount a couple of years ago because it was too big for me.

midlife

Guru
Nice : ). Back then Viscount had a stab at building all their own stuff....hubs, bottom brackets etc. Well made and surprisingly light :smile:

Rear carrier looks like a genuine pletcher as well. Time warp :smile:

Shaun

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I doubt that any adjustments will get rid of the bulges. They have probably been there for a very long time and plastic has a memory. Localised heat, carefully applied along with manipulation might work. You can still get chromoplastic mudguards so if you want to keep it original you can (although I don't recall seeing any except silver ones)
I would keep it completely retro - except I would lose that saddle!

Top Bottom