Retro pedals (without bearings?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
Hi,

I have attached pictures of the pedals in question:

I'm having some pedal trouble - my left pedal started to 'squeak' on the way to work and on the way home this progressed to it locking briefly in the same position every revolution.

My first thought was to strip it down and re-grease everything but I'm not sure where to start on these. I'm not sure what they are so I've been having trouble locating any how-to guides on the net.

The bike is an old Raleigh Esquire and when I bought it the guy told me that the pedals don't have any bearings in them. I thought all pedals had bearings.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Matt
2014-07-31%2021.03.51.jpg
2014-07-31%2021.04.06.jpg
2014-07-31%2021.04.11.jpg

sreten

Hi,

Some cheap pedals, like on a Raleigh shopper, are simply bushed, rather than bearing races.

http://smutpedaller.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/how-to-rebuild-raleigh-twenty-pedals.html

Your images don't show.

rgds, sreten.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
You didn't like my cottered cranks either Joe ;) Will be replaced as part of my 'project' which starts with getting the f'ing cotter pins out! I think this is going to be such a long job that I'm waiting until I've got a new bike until I start this as I need a bike to commute on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Running on friction. Replace with something a bit better. There is that much stuff out there, you should find something 'period' looking.

Top Bottom