Revolution Country Explorer '14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I too have the RC Traveller as my commuter and recent tourer to Islay - absolutely love it, not the lightest but very sturdy.

I had an issue in the first week with loose spokes (sorted by the shop without argument) so worth keeping an eye on them - stock tyres weren't the best either, swapped for Schwalbe Marathon Plus'.

Do you commute through Edinburgh? I come in from the bridge to the city centre via Ferry Road and the cycle paths up To Broughton Street. Enjoy your bike!

OP
OP
watchtowergoggs

watchtowergoggs

I too have the RC Traveller as my commuter and recent tourer to Islay - absolutely love it, not the lightest but very sturdy.

I had an issue in the first week with loose spokes (sorted by the shop without argument) so worth keeping an eye on them - stock tyres weren't the best either, swapped for Schwalbe Marathon Plus'.

Do you commute through Edinburgh? I come in from the bridge to the city centre via Ferry Road and the cycle paths up To Broughton Street. Enjoy your bike!

I ride for fun at the moment mainly due to my running commitments. Although I'm hoping to do more riding once the scottish half marathon is out the way this weekend. I bought the bike because I'm hoping to organise an end to end trip from lands end to john o groats in 2016.

I actually know the route you take since it's one I usually use myself. I normally pick up on the cycle path at Davidsons Mains and ride it out all the way to Musselburgh. Nice easy ex-railway path but not a lot to see on it.

I've now got a new job in Leith which I start at the end of September, so I'm thinking about doing a combination commuter cycling one some days and busing it to Leith in the mornings and running back home on the other days.

Fubar

Guru
I ride for fun at the moment mainly due to my running commitments. Although I'm hoping to do more riding once the scottish half marathon is out the way this weekend. I bought the bike because I'm hoping to organise an end to end trip from lands end to john o groats in 2016.

I actually know the route you take since it's one I usually use myself. I normally pick up on the cycle path at Davidsons Mains and ride it out all the way to Musselburgh. Nice easy ex-railway path but not a lot to see on it.

I've now got a new job in Leith which I start at the end of September, so I'm thinking about doing a combination commuter cycling one some days and busing it to Leith in the mornings and running back home on the other days.

Ideal bike for an end-to-end, hope to do that one day myself.

Fubar

Guru
Same here, in fact I had one of the original tyres (CST?) fail completely (blew off the rim) after a couple of months. Fortunately I was only half a mile from home when it happened, but I took the hint and ordered a pair of Marathon+.

Similar to me, @Telemark and I were sitting on the train to Glasgow when my tyre popped, approx 2 inch hole in the side of the tyre! Thankfully just got the train back, was a bit worrying though so definitely factor in upgrading stock tyres.

alesupper

I'm a very short 5' 3", so I had to go for the smallest frame which was 49". The frame is fractionally too big for me. It meant adjusting the saddle and drop down bars slightly to get it to a point where I wasn't stretching too far to reach the drop bars.

Not sure what size of frame would suit you, would be best either to email the shop and ask or do what I did and turn up at the shop and try out a few of the different frame sizes to find out which one you are comfortable with.

But being a short arse there was only really one option for me!

Thanks for your reply. I would love to be able to pop into the shop and try them for size but I live in south Cumbria and have a hectic life (kids, work etc) so would find it difficult to get up to Edinburgh.

I will email the shop but perhaps someone else on here (fubar?) who owns one of these bikes might be able to comment on the sizing?

I also have the end-to-end on my to do list and I reckon this bike will be just the bike for the job.

Eeeeh - I'd forgotten the tyres. One exploded in the shop as the guy was preparing the bike for me to collect ....... gave him a bit of a :eek:. So they replaced both tyres :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Thanks for your reply. I would love to be able to pop into the shop and try them for size but I live in south Cumbria and have a hectic life (kids, work etc) so would find it difficult to get up to Edinburgh.

I will email the shop but perhaps someone else on here (fubar?) who owns one of these bikes might be able to comment on the sizing?

I also have the end-to-end on my to do list and I reckon this bike will be just the bike for the job.

They have branches further south than Edinburgh. Not very close to us, but I think the closest would be Manchester or Newcastle.

nrh

I am a heavy old man so changed the tyres to quality 40c which allowed me to cycle with a lower pressure. This transformed the ride to very comfortable without noticeably increasing the rolling resistance. I did notice the increase in rotating weight but I do not accelerate very fast anyway!

Top Bottom