Riddles and Puzzles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Post the answer

Two

Katherine

Guru
Murder Suspect
Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don't know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman.
How do they know they've got their man?
The fireman has his name on his uniform.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Derby Dilema
At the CCC derby this year, 10 fine horses completed the gruelling 3 mile course.
Predictably the results mysteriously went missing. However, various marshals remembered the following snippets of information:
Simple Simon lost to Zebra Wings.
Zebra Wings beat Simple Simon, Frogman's Flippers and Apple Pie.
Fizzy Pop lost to Minty Mouth, Simple Simon and CD Player.
Frogman's Flippers beat Windy Hill, CD Player and Simple Simon.
Top Hat lost to CD Player, Kippers and Apple Pie.
CD Player beat Top Hat and Fizzy Pop.
Apple Pie lost to Zebra Wings and Simple Simon.
Kippers lost to Apple Pie and Frogman's Flippers.
Frogman's Flippers beat Fizzy Pop, Minty Mouth and CD Player.
CD Player lost to Frogman's Flippers, Kippers and Apple Pie.
Top Hat beat Fizzy Pop and Windy Hill.
Minty Mouth lost to Windy Hill and Simple Simon.

Who finished where?
Zebra Wings
Frogman's Flippers
Simple Simon
Apple Pie
Kippers
CD Player
Top Hat
Windy Hill
Minty Mouth
Fizzy Pop

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Strange Passengers
You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

You car can only take the one passenger.
Whom would you choose and why?

I'd toss my keys to my old friend and let him take the lady to the hospital and wait for the bus with my perfect partner.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Operate Or Die
A man and his son are in a car crash. The father is killed and the child is taken to hospital gravely injured. When he gets there, the surgeon says, 'I can't operate on this boy - for he is my son!!!'
How can this possibly be?

Don't tell me they let women be surgeons in this insane world you've dreamt up?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Mutiny Or Maybe
Five pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all extremely intelligent, treacherous and selfish (especially the captain).

The captain always proposes a distribution of the loot. All pirates vote on the proposal, and if half the crew or more go "Aye", the loot is divided as proposed, as no pirate would be willing to take on the captain without superior force on their side.

If the captain fails to obtain support of at least half his crew (which includes himself), he faces a mutiny, and all pirates will turn against him and make him walk the plank. The pirates start over again with the next senior pirate as captain.

What is the maximum number of coins the captain can keep without risking his life?

If shared equally each pirate would get 20 coins each, if they get rid of the captain and share them equally they get 25 each. Therefore the captain proposes that two pirates get 26 each and himself 48. The two getting the 26 each will vote with the captain.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member

If shared equally each pirate would get 20 coins each, if they get rid of the captain and share them equally they get 25 each. Therefore the captain proposes that two pirates get 26 each and himself 48. The two getting the 26 each will vote with the captain.
No!

Top Bottom