Ridgeback tempest stolen, essex southend, please read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

george-girling

Can anyone help regarding my son's stolen Ridgeback Tempest Hybrid bicycle?

This bike was chained up at Southend Central C2C station today (Monday 15th November). It was chained up on the SEC side of the station. Someone stole it by cutting through a heavy duty bicycle lock between 13:40p.m. and 17:00p.m. This bike was a valued present to my son from his father for gaining good GCSEs and going to college to study A Levels, it was his means of getting to and from stations as we live a few miles from our own local station.

Because it was so special to him, he is offering a £50 reward for the return of this bike in an excellent condition. If it is returned and the culprit found and prosecuted, he will pay £100. This reward is being paid from his own pocket money, so please help us find it.

For further descriptive details, please post here. Many Thanks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sorry to hear that George and I hope your son gets his bike back. I reckon most people here wouldn't want to take the reward money though and will help if they can.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on ads on eBay and Gumtree and on any local shops, market stalls etc. that sell second hand bikes in case it gets offered for sale.

My mate's son had his new mountain bike stolen within a couple of weeks of starting university. To be honest, I'd recommend your lad riding a really tatty-looking bike that thieves wouldn't be so interested in. They have the tools for breaking or cutting through pretty much any lock if they think the prize is worth it - scumbags! It could still be a reasonable bike, but it shouldn't look valuable.

e-rider

crappy member
A sad but common story.

Heavy duty locks can't be cut in this way, so I assume a was a cable type lock. Unfortunately, many people use cable type locks thinking the are secure (especially if they pay £50 for it and it looks beefy) but the simple fact is they are not - 5 seconds with bolt croppers is all it takes. Get a decent quality D-lock (or two) next time.

Railway stations are also the worst place of all to leave your bike - I would be using 4 locks if I left my bike at a station on a daily basis as it's just a matter of time. Theives eye them up, and then come prepared to break the given locks with the necessary tools.

I wish you good luck getting it back - but don't hold your breath!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1. is there CCTV - if not outside the Station, then on the High Street? You might have to push to get sight of it.

2. No lock is safe. Sadly.

3. Bikeshd is a quick way of looking through the 'stolen bikes for sale' websites http://bikeshd.co.uk/?page=1

OP
OP
G

george-girling

Hey there thanks for the replys. yes you are correct it was acable lock which was a what i thought a good one, usually when i lock it up at my usual station i use a D lock as well but yesterday didn't, i have reported it too the police and there was 2 cameras on the bike shed area which the police have requested the data from. I also have contacted the local paper and today had a picture where the bike was took and hyopefullly someone see's something from but if not i'll live.

Top Bottom