ridiculous "combination" sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

We've got triathlons, which aren't that ridiculous, as they're all similar(-ish) physical activities, swimming, running and cycling.
But then you've got that sport which involves skiing and shooting guns, which sounds quite good fun, if dangerous.
But from the sublime to the absolutely ridiculous - check out what i found out about at work the other day - chess boxing!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
where knockout, OR checkmate, wins you the game! ANd it's timed aswell, so you've got to be good at chess AND boxing to win. Otherwise if it wasn't timed then frank bruno would easily beat garry kasparov because he could just wait for the boxing game. As it stands, if garry kasparov and frank bruno were to play each other at it,who do you think would win? I would guess whoever's 'game' was first!

bonj said:
We've got triathlons, which aren't that ridiculous, as they're all similar(-ish) physical activities, swimming, running and cycling.
But then you've got that sport which involves skiing and shooting guns, which sounds quite good fun, if dangerous.

A lot of sport/events evolved out of military activities, often as a training aid. Obvious examples are throwing the discus and the javelin. The slightly esoteric modern pentathlon was an attempt to replicate a cavalryman's skills. The biathlon to which Yenner refers is an arctic soldier's exercise - ski towards the enemy and engage. It's attractive as an event to participants because it combines two (often mutually exclusive attributes) the ability to maintain a high heart rate for the cross country skiing and then drop it for the precision shooting.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My dad used to do biathalons in Norway when we lived there. He has done jsut about every physical challenge you can think of and he reckoned they were the hardest thing he had ever done. Trying to shoot straight when your muscles are gone, your hands are freezing and your heart is going like a jackhammer... and then once you've calmed down enough, having to get going as fast as you were before again...

Melvil

I think extreme ironing is enough for me, but perhaps you could combine it with navigation to make a form of 'orientironing'!!!

Not sure it would catch on, but...

I did plenty of judo/beer drinking in my day. Being from Glasgow it didn't really matter how well we did on the mat we would always more than make up for it in the beer drinking!

If only I could remember the victories.....:biggrin:

yello

Strip cello playing could be interesting.

Flying_Monkey said:
My dad used to do biathalons in Norway when we lived there. He has done jsut about every physical challenge you can think of and he reckoned they were the hardest thing he had ever done. Trying to shoot straight when your muscles are gone, your hands are freezing and your heart is going like a jackhammer... and then once you've calmed down enough, having to get going as fast as you were before again...

That sums it up. If you ever do precision shooting, it's a great discipline of slowing everything down and even gripping the gun so that your pulse doesn't affect the aim. As for doing it after 20k of flat out cross country skiing (a bit like Ventoux while doing weights) words fail me...................

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Patrick Stevens said:
That sums it up. If you ever do precision shooting, it's a great discipline of slowing everything down and even gripping the gun so that your pulse doesn't affect the aim. As for doing it after 20k of flat out cross country skiing (a bit like Ventoux while doing weights) words fail me...................

it should be a machine gun imho, and it should be done WHILE skiing, not after.

ChrisKH

Guru
Melvil said:
I think extreme ironing is enough for me, but perhaps you could combine it with navigation to make a form of 'orientironing'!!!

Not sure it would catch on, but...

Understated sport this one. Especially naked extreme ironing with a time constraint.

Top Bottom