Ridiculous Cyclist sun tan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I used to have a classic pro tan (apart from not wearing gloves), with nice sharp lines, aided by a bulk buy of sale shorts when the LBS fell out with the Cannondale rep, so all my shorts were the same length. I've switched to baggies now (for pockets, mostly), and my tan lines are more MTB.
However, I've also switched to SPD sandals, so I've got interesting feet
sandalfeet_zpsb0j5kawt.jpg

The other interesting cycling-specific tan you can get is hands with brown spots all over from string-back mitts.

Like the chap in the previous post, I wear " hole-y" shoes a lot. Which made for a talking point when the nurse was checking my feet at my recent diabetic checkup.....

I used to do a lot of kayaking, and my summer short sleeved cag, with neoprene semi-seals round the upper arms, used to leave really spectacular cag tan lines!

D

Deleted member 1258

From my fingertips, I don't wear gloves in the summer, to just above my elbows I'm brown, then a red ring and the white begins, my head and neck are brown, the lower half of my thighs are brown as are my knees, below my knee's I'm white.

Serynia

Ran out of factor 50 last week, not sure how, as my Son gets it on prescription in rather large bottles. Anyhow decided to check an old holiday bag and YES found a bottle slapped it on did 20 very Hot slow miles with my 24 year old daughter in tow with lunch stop outside as well. Got home looked in the mirror and found the reason my arms were so itchy... bright red idiot burn... Realised then that we had not used that bag in about 4 years who knew sunblock had a best by date :eek:

I have only ever suffered on the bike with sunburn once and that was when I rode to London in 2008, I was in it all day, recent years I am usually in no more than a few hours and only ever tan, but then it never goes away over winter either.

Hyslop

Veteran
Yup , the vents on my helmet make my head look like its sponsored by Adidas
Ihave very little hair and I wear a Catlike helmet,very holey indeed!I solved the problem of an unusual tan,by means of a nifty little mesh cap,works a treat and means that,being small I m not the butt of a series of weak jokes from my taller but dimmer pals!

clid61

Veteran
I've got different shades of tan on my arms due to sun\ weather as also white bits due to glasses, legs are evenly tanned though

Svendo

Guru
I remember seeing a Helms cartoon of a cyclist on the first day of their family summer holiday sunbathing with their arm warmers and leg warmers and balaclava on to 'balance up' the tan.

Developing a nice pro tan now but put plenty of 24 hr sun lotion on,got to show off the 'guns' properly:rolleyes::whistle::laugh:

Not the best pic but you get the idea;

IMG_20160725_090350623_HDR.jpg

BikeCurious

Über Member
I had the pro look until the weekend when I went out sleeveless (not on the bike). Now I've got white hands, brown arms to above the elbow, pink up to the shoulder then pure white body. I call it the Neapolitan look.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It was only when lying in a hospital bed last year after having broken my leg, that I became self conscious of my tan lines. A tee shirt meant the arm and neck lines were not showing, but shorts didn't cover my white feet with a crisp edge above my ankles where my socks stopped, then brown legs, then white above where my cycling shorts stopped. And full length pyjama bottoms were not a practical option.

Top Bottom