RIP Sinead O'Connor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sad news.

avsd

Guru
A quote from the Irish President on RTE.ie this evening

"To those of us who had the privilege of knowing her, one couldn’t but always be struck by the depth of her fearless commitment to the important issues which she brought to public attention, no matter how uncomfortable those truths may have been."
One of those truths was w.r.t her difficult childhood and the "Magdalene asylums" run by the Catholic Church

cycling_eejit

Über Member
Was a big fan of her early music and some of her more recent stuff was very good too.
She was fearless and had huge courage to back her convictions. She was on the brink of becoming a major star in the US when she went and ripped up a picture of the Pope on Saturday Night Live. It's kind of forgotten now how big the backlash was, but she essentially killed her own chances of major pop stardom, but in the end she was proven correct.
Yes, she had a troubled life, but that doesn't make her passing at 56 any less tragic.
RIP Sinead.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Just something I always thought when I heard her name. I also meant it in the sense that she has taken the voyage and is now on the other side, that's all. No malice or distaste intended, just a gentle play on words.

Besides, having read up about her, it sounds like her life was one big journey, so I hope she wouldn't begrudge me that much anyway.

RIP, 56 is tragically young.

Last edited:
Same here, I'm not really a fan but I do like Mandinka and Nothing Compares to You, and I can appreciate why she was well respected.

SImilar. Good work by this morning's 6music presenter; after a very brief tribute comment, he went straight to Mandinka, a lovely uplifting piece of music. Nice to celebrate lives at these moments.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h08pCvyKfbs

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I see that Morrissey has slammed celebs who have gave glowing tributes to the singer.
'You hadn't the guts to support her when she was alive' he said.
He's quite right but what could you do, you can't save some people from themselves.

He does have a point here.
How many of these famous people criticised her, how many people failed to help her, yet are now publicly praising her. Particularly the politicians and religious leaders.

Top Bottom