Road Bike for £300 or less

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Browny0903

I am looking at getting a road bike but being only 14 i have a budget of £300. I was looking at the specialized allez second hand on eBay, they are around 200 to 300. Or the triban 3 brand new. I am looking to go to my local bike shop soon but wanted a brief idea of what to look for and what not to look for.

So any ideas guys? Or anyone selling?

Manguish

Haven't ridden one, but the triban 3 gets great reviews for beginners.

Don't forget to factor the cost of other kit if needed. Shoes, bibs, pedals etc etc etc. It soon adds up unfortunately....

fossala

Guru
Be careful with your budget. Pedals, shoes, helmet and clothes (bibs, jerseys, gloves, jackets) will set you back a couple of hundred quid at least. But you can get them as you get more serious.

OP
OP
B

Browny0903

Gloves are about a tenner, I can stick with thermals and running shorts and tops for the meantime. I do already have a bike but its the same old £150 rubbish that is useless on road. I do have a helmet.
I am looking simply at the bike, for that amount, not any extras, obviously the cheaper the bike the more I can spend on the extras;)

Dirtlover2005

I went for a Trek 1000 SL. Still an entry road bike but s/hand around £150? Get a nice one they are lighter than a Triban 3 and have carbon forks. Still leaves you a few £ for stuff if you want ..

OP
OP
B

Browny0903

Found a trek 1000 for 175 on eBay already, might be the better option, leaves me 150 to spend on a new derailler perhaps as the trek bike's is looking a little iffy

HovR

Über Member
Found a trek 1000 for 175 on eBay already, might be the better option, leaves me 150 to spend on a new derailler perhaps as the trek bike's is looking a little iffy

Unless you know what to look for mechanically when buying a bike (i.e. play in bearings, worn tires, worn cables) or know someone who can check this out for you, I'd recommend buying new. At least then you also have a warranty. All to often second hand bikes will require new cables, maybe tires, bearing servicing etc which can all add up.

The one thing to note with the Triban 3 is that there have been a few reports of wheel bearings wearing out quite quickly, normally after a few thousand miles. For this reason it might be worth factoring in another £100 or so for an entry level wheelset later on down the line when (if) the stock one wears out.

OP
OP
B

Browny0903

When looking at a specialized allez, reviews mentioned wheel replacement as well, I'm looking at going to my local bike shop and check or wheels as well as bike and spare parts

Dirtlover2005

If you are looking at getting a Triban 3 you need to get moving as they are changing the spec for the 2013 bike (lower). The way they are selling they will soon be out of stock

Dirtlover2005

No I believe it to be a lower spec bike - there is a thread on here somewhere discussing it. I think the gearing bits and bobs are lower quality and it loses the carbon forks. - I think don't quote me

Powely

If you can wait, you'll get a bargain on eBay. Have you considered a Giant Defy 4? I imagine you'll pick one up for approx £300 if you bide your time for the right one at the right price.

Top Bottom