Road bike for around £750

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The one thing I note about the Mango is the close spacing of the top and bottom ratios on the rear cassette. On the RT-58, I never use the smaller front chain ring because of the wider range of rear ratios. Shifting is pure joy.

Russell

You must never ride up any sort of hill, or are a lightweight with thighs of steel! Most rides I don't shift either (I can do my usual 15 mile loop on a SS), but I certainly wouldn't manage the Surrey Hills or even Richmond Park without! Be careful not to cross chain, i.e. big cog front and rear :smile:

outlash

also available in orange
9.8KG ?
I'm surprised by that. Seems on the heavy side to me for a 105 bike.

Er, just because the bike has a decent groupset, it doesn't automatically make it light.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, a 60xx frame could be a weighty beast (do they not know what grade of alu they are using yet) as could kenda tyres and chasewood (??) wheels

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
You must never ride up any sort of hill, or are a lightweight with thighs of steel! Most rides I don't shift either (I can do my usual 15 mile loop on a SS), but I certainly wouldn't manage the Surrey Hills or even Richmond Park without! Be careful not to cross chain, i.e. big cog front and rear :smile:
Checks Location. Nope, no hills worthy of the name. Definitely NOT lightweight (although 1st lost in the last four weeks) and I'd now put the thighs at somewhere between UPVC and aluminium. :smile:

Russell

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank for your suggestion! How does the Campagnolo Veloce compare with the Shimano 105?

Currently in Shoreditch area but will be moving further east, hopefully to Stratford, in September-ish time.
Bike #2 has a 105 triple which I never really liked. The Cinelli has a Campy Veloce compact which has a thumb operated up-shifter for the front mech and a brifter down shifter. The brake hoods are bent inwards slightly and are really comfortable...they sit naturally in my hands. I like that arrangement a whole lot better than the 105, but that's personal. I just find the 105s big and clunky in my hands...and I've got large hands. I'm about 5'11" with an inside leg of 33" and the 54cm frame feels good to me. If you want to take it for a trial spin, let me know. I'm in W14.

OP
OP
P

parkesy555

Like I said, not used to any gears as I currently ride a fixie.

Thanks to those who have provided suggestions but I feel this is going slightly off topic!

May have to take you up on that offer @slowmotion

Last edited:
Top Bottom