Road bike kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok say you had a new racing bike frame and you was building it up to the speck you like what would you go for? Sram, Campagnolo or Shimano?

I am not saying just go out and buy Sram Red, Campag Record or Shimano Dura Ace or Dura Ace (Di2).

So what Brand and what level?

Will1985

Über Member
Money no object, I would still go for mid-range Campag. Last year it would have been Centaur, this year Chorus (even though I'm sceptical about 11s).

The rest of the money would go on sweet wheels!

jayce

I done the same thing fella ,for value for money imo mind, i bought ultegra sl its good spec it aint the cheepest by far looks good performs great ,also campy is good ,for me sram is a bit expensive ,i ride for enjoyment not to race so i think ultegra is fine for me . Take in account what you want from the parts ease of accsessing bits, looks and what you like the look of ,which ever you choose will be you choice and you know their all good products ,so think on fella and let us know what your heart decides

I think you are right about the 11s I think they are a wast on the day to day rider. I think they are for the road racers that just use the bike for the race or training.

And the sad thing is I can not get Campag at trade :ohmy: like I can the overs :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think, given the money, Ultegra - reasonable durability, and decent quality and VFM.

More realistically, a gradually accumulated mixture of Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra will be my lot, I think, as I'll be building on stuff from the bits box.

If I had the money, I'd love to try a Campag or SRAM system just to see what they're like.

mondobongo

Über Member
I would go with Ultegra, Shimano has its knockers but its good kit and lasts. (Sram is still pretty new for Roadies let them iron the problems out first, used it on an mtb and the shifters proved to be delicate little things.) Wheels nice set of handbuilts would take a look at Hope's Road hub as well.

Dave5N

Über Member
DA

I have heard good stuff about SRAM but not tried it and am sceptical you could send the gears the wrong way.
DA is streets ahead of Ultegra in some areas - and if money's no object, why not?

tomkb

i use a full 105 groupset cos im a student and cant afford any better and its great. cant fault it and obviously with shimano servicing and parts is as easy as it gets, as well as a full range of cassette tooth sizes for touring/ racing. also if ur buying trade the mark up is less for campag and sram so u end up paying more. shimano u shud end up paying max 60% rrp.

jay

I made a conscious decision to get the basic model of my bike, which wasn't really down to cost. So I'm all sora'd up - gotta love those little levers on the shifters;) (Seriously, I really like them!)

The thinking behind it was that as a new (road) rider I wanted to get used to a basic but functional groupset and then do a complete groupset upgrade to something much shinier a bit further down the line and the same with the wheels. Then I should hopefully notice a totally transformed bike overnight!

If I can get 1000km in by August I might do the upgrade then and catch the end of the summer...

Top Bottom