Road biking advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
We have a great non profit bike shop in my town and I want to start road biking. These guys have donated frames and basically rebuild everything. Where do I start?

Currently a MTB and full suspension rider but I want to brave the roads to go further a field and for the commute. Here's my imput...I need a light frame I can easily learn how to maintain. The two I have are really heavy and I honestly feel this is slowing me down and i'm not confident to move fast enough on bigger roads with them.

I'm looking for genuine advice of what i can say to these guys for the type of frame etc im looking for to start me off on the road. They will obviously be able to advise but I'll soak up as much info as possible so i know what im looking for.

Sand shoe!!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Just ask them about road frames, more than likely going to be steel. If they can offer you something with a sticker like this
8700400786_2c62ec51fe_z.jpg
that will be a bonus.
An old 5 or 10 speed with downtube shifters is a good place to start out.

OP
OP
luckyfox

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Just ask them about road frames, more than likely going to be steel. If they can offer you something with a sticker like this
8700400786_2c62ec51fe_z.jpg
that will be a bonus.
An old 5 or 10 speed with downtube shifters is a good place to start out.

This is why I love this place, thanks for that :thumbsup:

So excited, it's like Christmas!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's how I got 4 of mine, however I then purchased loads of new bits so they weren't cheap to build into complete cycles, I mainly used 105 or Deore components though apart from the 653 frame on which I used Campagnolo Centaur and Record so not exactly bargain basement builds.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I made the switch (or rather as well as) to road from mtb earlier this year, myself being just a mere mortal of the working class variety started out on an old 1980's steel Reynolds 501 framed Raleigh (budget end of the lightweight tubing range) I built it up using "modern" components and has made a good bike:hyper:, but rebuilds can end up being costly:addict: my raleigh had a few set ups on the rebuild going from 12 speed 2x6, then 3x7 then 3x8 all before it hit the tarmac, then it went from non indexed to indexed (downtube shifters), after one ride, then after a couple of more rides I then upgraded to combi brake shifters. Love it although :surrender: the mrs not so impressed:gun: :banghead:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I made the switch (or rather as well as) to road from mtb earlier this year, myself being just a mere mortal of the working class variety started out on an old 1980's steel Reynolds 501 framed Raleigh (budget end of the lightweight tubing range) I built it up using "modern" components and has made a good bike:hyper:, but rebuilds can end up being costly:addict: my raleigh had a few set ups on the rebuild going from 12 speed 2x6, then 3x7 then 3x8 all before it hit the tarmac, then it went from non indexed to indexed (downtube shifters), after one ride, then after a couple of more rides I then upgraded to combi brake shifters. Love it although :surrender: the mrs not so impressed:gun: :banghead:
Yeah it can get a bit dear, but you do end up with the spec you want eventually, although I've just bought a set of 'north road' bars for another project and quite like the look of them reversed and inverted on a road bike. :unsure:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
Yeah it can get a bit dear, but you do end up with the spec you want eventually, although I've just bought a set of 'north road' bars for another project and quite like the look of them reversed and inverted on a road bike. :unsure:
Totally agree, eventually you do get the spec you want and that's the best thing about it, play around with a few bits when funds allow:wahhey:

@biggs682 is a mine of useful info on all matters retro, and also a great source of parts at very reasonable prices too :thumbsup:

As others have said aim for a Reynolds steel frame, (or equivalent), 501 or higher is preferable, but bear in mind what's been said about cost, new bikes are heavily subsidised against their component cost so it's not always cost effective to build a bike, just DAHIKT :whistle:

A quality used bike doesn't have to cost the earth, and again biggs682 often has a healthy supply of quality bikes serviced and ready to go :thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@luckyfox aim for Reynolds 501 or 531 or any Columbus frame as a starting point as said above already

be warned though builds can get carried away so try and go for one that is rideable and get it serviced then use and see how you get on before splashing too much cash is always my suggestion .

how tall are you ? as i have a couple of frames i could offer you if they were the right size or if you fancy a complete bike i normally have a couple on offer ready to go .

shame you are not nearer but theres always the carrier route , shout if you think i can be of any help

Top Bottom