Road commuting rucksack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
I've been commuting for about 8 weeks with a hiking rucksack and I think it's time to move on to a rucksack that's more suited to the task.

My requirements are simple: I want something that's got reasonable airflow on my back, can fit my 13" laptop (ideally with a dedicated pocket), a towel, and a change of clothes. Bonus points for having a spot for my lock which is NOT inside the main compartment.

So far I have my eye on the Osprey Momentum 30.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a Deuter Bike 1 that I used to use for all that. It would fit a towel alongside all my clothes when I wanted to along with an internal pocket for the laptop. My lock fit in a side pocket with a small waterproof in the other side pocket.

However that said, I changed to a Carradice saddlebag and it's a much more comfortable ride to work.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
@annirak the good way off with lock is having two of them, one you keep at work place one at home for those shorter communes :smile: i do it that way and it's really great, no more need to carry heavy bike lock on the way to work :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 for deuter. Evans usually have a few in their larger shops to fondle

Personally I wouldn't want to be carrying a computer on my back. Topeak rack plus the slide on trunk bag with fold out panniers for me

Mike!

Guru
I went for a Berghaus Freeflow 20 from a local "outdoors" type shop, half price in a sale. Don't use it everday as I carry clothes in on a Monday when i have to take little one to nursery and the dirty clothes home on a Friday when I also do the nursery run.

However when I do use it it's stable, secure and doesn't get my back hot. Also comes with built in waterproof cover.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah, I was fully on to panniers for the comfort, but I can't bring myself to put a rack on my road bike :sad:
Why not?! What bike is it, ok would look odd on an aero TT bike but not a normal alu/steel/ti roadbike. Given your previous neck injury, isn't it wise to be wary about carrying much weight on your back? Neck injury in a fall, however innocuous, would be a concern to me if carrying solid stuff like a laptop. I've damaged the soft tissue in my neck in two recent 'incidents' without anything on my back, so will refrain from any rucksack use pretty much from now on

My Genesis looks the part with rack :smile:

mythste

Veteran
Yeah, I was fully on to panniers for the comfort, but I can't bring myself to put a rack on my road bike :sad:

I feel for you, but a decent rack really isnt that much of a pain to install/remove. I take mine off on the weekend and get her all commuterised on a sunday evening for the week ahead!

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Why not?! What bike is it, ok would look odd on an aero TT bike but not a normal alu/steel/ti roadbike. Given your previous neck injury, isn't it wise to be wary about carrying much weight on your back? Neck injury in a fall, however innocuous, would be a concern to me if carrying solid stuff like a laptop. I've damaged the soft tissue in my neck in two recent 'incidents' without anything on my back, so will refrain from any rucksack use pretty much from now on

My Genesis looks the part with rack :smile:

My bike is a 2014 Vitus Razor. It's got bosses for rack & fenders.

[edit:] well, either rack or fenders on the back. For whatever reason, they decided to place ONLY one set of eyelets by the rear dropouts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need two holes? I have rack and mudguards on the genesis. I use p clips for the rack, a seatpost collar is another option but I couldn't find one to fit the bike

Top Bottom