Road rider newb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Veganpower

Hello everyone.

I've not been on a bike for a few years and never a road bike but that will all change once I know what bike to get!

I've been inspired by Harley Johnstone AKA Durianrider to get into cycling. I'm interested in ditching the car and commuting on a bike, plus I'm interested in using cycling to improve my fitness so I can do my next half marathon in under 2 hours (That may sound like an easy target but I'm carrying far too much weight). ha ha I hear you say, an over weight vegan!!!!!! lol. yes, but I'm new to the Vegan Lifestyle so give it a few months lol.

I almost went for it and ordered this http://www.rutlandcycling.com/108684/products/giant-tcr-sl-1-2013-road-bike.aspx reason being that I've heard good things about Giant and I thought a deal like that wouldn't come up again any time soon, but I decided that was too much of an investment for me to make based on it being a good deal!

Anyway, I'm contemplating getting a Carrra Zelos but waiting for Halfords to do another 10% online orders. I've read mixed reviews but the plan was that it would be my 'winter bike'. I'm happy to receive suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the tips, help, banter and general comradery.

young Ed

Veteran
hi there plenty of road cyclists and commuters on here
the 2 above bikes are very different geometry wise and so comfort and ride experience wise witthe giant being raceier and the carrera being a bit more relaxed so it depends on what you want
what is your upper pricer limit considering the giant is a grand on offer and the carrera is £269 more than half price and you are still waiting for a 10% offer
i would go for the carrera personally if i were you due to the lower price if you decide you don't like cycling then you haven't parted with anywhere near as much cash considering if you do get into it you can always sell it or keep it and buy the giant or similar later
anyway enough of me blabbering now :welcome: and enjoy
Cheers Ed

silvervanplumberman

Über Member
Hello and welcome,

Sounds like a plan to me, the Zelos will be a half decent entry level bike that will give you a taste for road cycling and you'll know then wether or not you want to invest in a "summer" bike in the future. Riding the heavier "winter" bike will also be very good for your fitness. Give your self 18 months on the Zelos and get a new improved lightweight summer bike next year. The Giant you indicated that you liked is a really nice bike. Good component etc, I own three Giants so I'm a bit of a fan, I have the TCR Advanced 0 with the Di2's which I bought at the end of this summer, a bargain much like the one that Rutland are selling.

Try and get yourself some buddies to ride with, nothing brings on your fitness quicker than ridding with others. Gives you something to aim for. Also if your commuting invest heavily in decent lights and hi vis gear.

All the best with everything and stay safe

young Ed

Veteran
get your self along to your LBS (Local Bike Shop) and ask to test ride a few different models relevant ie: don't test ride any MTB's (Mountain Bikes) but test ride some road bikes that you could potentially be buying and see what sort of geometry and position you like
Cheers Ed

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and a warm :welcome: to you.
The Zelos is a good value purchase at the moment.

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Silvervanplumberman - that was exactly my thinking. I was a little amused when I read about summer/winter bikes but I suppose when you're talking £1k plus it makes perfect sense to look after it.

Hi Ed, only waiting for the extra 10% off because I like a deal and I know they do it regularly. I'll wait until January then get it either way. Reason I was looking at the Giant was because I thought it was an outstanding deal, luckily good sense prevailed.

I've been to my LBS but I found their expert really condescending, it kind of put me off. I asked if one of the bikes was compatible with a power meter then he lectured me on how a power meters were a waste of money!

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Hi and welcome. The zelos is a nice looking bike and is on offer but perhaps it may be worth adding the extra few quid and getting the tdf. I bought one myself not long ago and it's a great bike with a bit of a better spec than the zelos if remember correctly. Think the zelos has only 14 gears ???

The tdf is constantly on offer, at its cheapest is £250, which is what it was when i bought it.
Apart from Halfords service and build qualities it's a fantastic bike.

The Giant looks awesome by the way

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Veganpower and :welcome:.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, do you have a Decathlon near you? Their Triban range is very well thought of on here and are well specced for the money.

I don't condone your LBS being condescending, but they probably are right about not needing a power meter at this stage of your riding. They're more for the really serious riders training for competition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Hi and welcome. The zelos is a nice looking bike and is on offer but perhaps it may be worth adding the extra few quid and getting the tdf. I bought one myself not long ago and it's a great bike with a bit of a better spec than the zelos if remember correctly. Think the zelos has only 14 gears ???

The tdf is constantly on offer, at its cheapest is £250, which is what it was when i bought it.
Apart from Halfords service and build qualities it's a fantastic bike.

The Giant looks awesome by the way

I like the TDF plan, I would be very happy if I could grab one for £250.

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Hi Veganpower and :welcome:.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, do you have a Decathlon near you? Their Triban range is very well thought of on here and are well specced for the money.

I don't condone your LBS being condescending, but they probably are right about not needing a power meter at this stage of your riding. They're more for the really serious riders training for competition.

I agree, and really I was just asking in general for the future. Perhaps I caught him on a bad day or something.

I do have a Decathlon near me, I'll check the Triban out. The bike fit service at Halfords did appeal to me though. I know their staff are a bit him and miss but I know there is a good guy in the Rose Kiln Lane branch.

Top Bottom