Robert Millar or Tom Simpson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
HLaB said:
That's my next read,I got the book for Christmas, I'm half way through 'The Hour' and 'Put me Back on the Bike ' at the mo.
It's an interesting read. Its also well worth reading David Walsh's "Inside the Tour de France" as, even though I believe they're friends and colleagues, he puts some of Kimmage's views in perspective.

As for 'Rough Ride', Kimmage comes across as very bitter (he admits this himself) but pretty honest until the last few chapters, where it does descend into gobshitery at times. It's safe to say he and Matt Rendall don't sit next to each other at any Sports Writers events.

User269

Dave5N said:
Don't worry about it, this thread comes up from time to time.

Fortunately, in three years it will be entirely redundant and we will all obsequiate at the throne of King Cav.

I hope so! Starting next July perhaps?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
beancounter said:
Never in a million years.

That muppet isn't fit to pump up Millar's tyres, never will be.

bc

A bit harsh I feel, Cav is but a youngster in the sport at this moment in time, and he is a different type of rider to both Millar and Simpson.

beancounter

Paulus said:
A bit harsh I feel, Cav is but a youngster in the sport at this moment in time, and he is a different type of rider to both Millar and Simpson.

You're right, of course.

I just don't like Cavendish and I don't rate what he does, i.e. sprinting. To me it's just a sideshow.

bc

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What if he wins the green jersey, Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Tours, Tour of Lombardy, Ghent Welgem and the World Championship? All racers where the sprinters are among the favourites, unless of course you consider being the quickest rider after 160 miles to be just showboating.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
beancounter said:
You're right, of course.

I just don't like Cavendish and I don't rate what he does, i.e. sprinting. To me it's just a sideshow.

bc

I am big fan of the grimpeurs (MIllar definitely for me BTW), but it is ridiculous to say that sprinters are a side-show. It is not as if they rock up in a car near the end and race for a couple of hundred metres. They have to race the same distances, and make sure they are at the front at the end, and then win. They have to haul themselves over the mountains just the same inside the time limits if they want to win points jerseys...

I have no doubt that Cav will turn into the most successful British rider ever - and those people calling him a cock, well, yeah, you have got to be utterly focused and not give a shoot to be a top sprinter. It's about time we had a few more utterly self-confident cocks in British road cycling. And of course generally when he's interviewed it is when the adrenaline is still pumping after physical effort the like of which most of us will never understand. He comes across as much more normal and even pleasant outside of the race environment.

Dave5N

Über Member
Flying_Monkey said:
I am big fan of the grimpeurs (MIllar definitely for me BTW), but it is ridiculous to say that sprinters are a side-show. It is not as if they rock up in a car near the end and race for a couple of hundred metres. They have to race the same distances, and make sure they are at the front at the end, and then win. They have to haul themselves over the mountains just the same inside the time limits if they want to win points jerseys...

I have no doubt that Cav will turn into the most successful British rider ever - and those people calling him a cock, well, yeah, you have got to be utterly focused and not give a shoot to be a top sprinter. It's about time we had a few more utterly self-confident cocks in British road cycling. And of course generally when he's interviewed it is when the adrenaline is still pumping after physical effort the like of which most of us will never understand. He comes across as much more normal and even pleasant outside of the race environment.

That's right.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

mondobongo said:
Found a good article on Cycling Weekly which lists the Top British Pros.

That's a very good and interesting little article that Mondo.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
The greatest Bristish cyclist was Tommy Godwin who cycled 76,000 miles in one year - thats nearly 200 miles per day. This was acheived in the 1930's on a basic heavy bike by todays standards. He was a member of stone wheelers in Staffordshire. You cannot compare riders or any athletes from differet eras. Miller was at his peak in the 80's , excelled in the mountains and is without the most consistant big stage rider Britain has ever produced. However there were some incredibly strong riders at the time on the mountains such as the Dutch, Columbians and Lemond, Hinault and Fignon.

jimboalee

Which Tommy Godwin?

b. 1912 , Endurance Cyclist,
or
b. 1920 , President of Solihull Cycling Club.

I know where there is a Tommy Godwin ( b. 1920 ) Track frame.
The owner is a relative of mine and refuses to sell it.:biggrin:

Joff Summerfield. Rode around the world on a Penny Farthing he built himself and is the first person to do the ride since the 1880's.

And if you've ever ridden a penny you'll know what an achievement that is. None of these soft modern 'safety' bikes for real men:evil:

Us Penny riders are 'ard.

Top Bottom