Roe deer and their white bottoms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Saw some Roe Deer while out on the bike today... wouldn't have seen them only for their white bums... so, question is, what evolutionary advantage* could there be to a white ass that gives your position away when you are otherwise quite well comouflaged?

*If you're approaching this question from an intelligent design viewpoint, was it a bad day at the drawing board? :tongue::tongue:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Saw some Roe Deer while out on the bike today... wouldn't have seen them only for their white bums... so, question is, what evolutionary advantage* could there be to a white ass that gives your position away when you are otherwise quite well comouflaged?

*If you're approaching this question from an intelligent design viewpoint, was it a bad day at the drawing board? :biggrin::sad:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
twentysix by twentyfive said:
I suppose it's the same thing as with rabbits' white tails. The flashing of the white when running off signals danger to the rest of herd/collective name for rabbits.

Yep, thats what it is....a danger signal:biggrin:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
twentysix by twentyfive said:
I suppose it's the same thing as with rabbits' white tails. The flashing of the white when running off signals danger to the rest of herd/collective name for rabbits.

Yep, thats what it is....a danger signal:biggrin:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's a compromise of sorts, I guess then. No white bum = better camouflage. White bum = seen by predators/cyclists but better chance of getting away. :smile:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's a compromise of sorts, I guess then. No white bum = better camouflage. White bum = seen by predators/cyclists but better chance of getting away. :biggrin:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Its to protect the herd......camouflage would give the individuals safety but the flash of white will alert the rest giving them all more chance of gettin away. Gawd knows what they'd think if they saw mine...its so white they'd think armageddon was coming:rofl::smile::rofl::rofl:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Its to protect the herd......camouflage would give the individuals safety but the flash of white will alert the rest giving them all more chance of gettin away. Gawd knows what they'd think if they saw mine...its so white they'd think armageddon was coming:rofl::biggrin::rofl::sad:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We startled a herd of them in the woods above here. I saw white blobs bouncing up and down as if on elastic - no sense of movement away from us, and no sense of animals running. It was a very effective piece of confusion...and then they'd gone.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We startled a herd of them in the woods above here. I saw white blobs bouncing up and down as if on elastic - no sense of movement away from us, and no sense of animals running. It was a very effective piece of confusion...and then they'd gone.

Top Bottom