Route measurement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Hi guys/girls

Wondering if anyone knew of an android app that I could use to plot cycle routes giving me the distance I will be traveling?

I have had a quick look through the app store to no avail. My friend had a similar app on his iPhone which he uses to plan his routes and it's very good as you can plan a route knowing what kind of distance you will be covering.

Doesn't seem to be anything in Google maps either with this function so I'm beginning to think that it may not be possible on anything android.

Thanks.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I've not tried it personally, but would the RideWithGPS app work that way?

www.ridewithgps.com

Crunchie

Locus Maps Free is available for android and is excellent - use the free version. I have toured widely through mainland Europe, the balkan countries and USA using only Locus on my smartphone - i.e. no paper maps! It takes a little effort to learn and get the best from the app but it is worth it. It requires internet to design a route, distance etc, but once the map is saved to the phone, the internet is not required. You can also upload GPX, KML and other files also.

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Locus Maps Free is available for android and is excellent - use the free version. I have toured widely through mainland Europe, the balkan countries and USA using only Locus on my smartphone - i.e. no paper maps! It takes a little effort to learn and get the best from the app but it is worth it. It requires internet to design a route, distance etc, but once the map is saved to the phone, the internet is not required. You can also upload GPX, KML and other files also.

Cheers

Thanks for that. Had a look and it does seem a bit of a fiddle but I'll persevere!

Not for basic planning I think

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/new

cycle-route.com has lots of routes others have built

This seems a bit easier to me than the above suggestion. I wanted to measure up a route and it worked a treat and quite simple to use too!

Top Bottom