Route Wythenshawe to Gatley via Hollyhedge Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gatley lass

Über Member
Has anybody cycled along Hollyhedge Road Wythenshawe since the metrolink arrived?

My niece wants to start cycling to work in Gatley from Baguley and that's the most straightforward route but half of it has tram tracks.

Any advice much appreciated.

potsy

Rambler
Not been down there since they did the metrolink, prefer to get to Gatley via Sharston, maybe a little longer but my preferred route.

Wythenshawe park as a cut through, head for Northenden then the main A560 to Gatley.

Cycling + tram tracks is a death trap, doesn't matter how experienced/careful you are, you will fall off on them eventually.

And apparently some of the track designs around Wythenshawe are a total design clusterfark for cyclists, a lot of accidents already reported there already. This notorious section is on Southmoor road going South, who the hell thinks this is a safe design for cyclists? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1sfAG6_ksFjyAhVwtrCWDj4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Best avoided I would advise her, although I'm not local enough to suggest alternatives sorry!

OP
OP
Gatley lass

Gatley lass

Über Member
Thanks for the advice. Sharston is a long way around as she's coming from just behind Hollyhedge road but I had heard that the tram tracks were bad.

I'll go out with here and try and find an alternative. Shes a novice cyclist so I want to help find a good route so she isn't discouraged.

Siclo

Veteran
The angle that the tracks join Hollyhedge is less than ideal especially heading East - West, unless of course you use the farcility adn attempt to join a traffic flow that is now essentially behind you - the lane is also narrowed by actions of motorists trying to keep the offside wheels to the left of the outside track.

The tramline section can be cut out entirely using the estate and the underpass that links Heybrook Road to Greenwood Road, I've only used it in the day, not sure what the estate is like after dark.

Heading east west: turn right outside the college onto Brownley Rd, left longhey road, right wood house lane, left overton road, right newhey road, left through cut through onto alders, left on greenwood, right through underpass, and pick up Blackcarr/ Bowland road as required. TBH if its anything like busy times progress will probably be quicker through the estate and much more suited to a novice, usual caveats regarding tyres and underpasses apply.

Not sure where where you're going but worth knowing that shady lane through Roundthorn Industrial Estate can be very useful for avoiding Southmoor and likewise the bridge over the railway off Royal Oak Road.

OP
OP
Gatley lass

Gatley lass

Über Member
Thanks both and I hope you are on the mend Fossyant.

I had thought about the underpass but my sisters a bit reluctant. I'll give it a go with her and see how we get on.

sickboyblue

Although Holyhedge does have tram tracks, remember it is a fairly wide road with a clean(ish) cycle lane all the way from Greenwood road to Brownley Road. I'd prefer to ride this than some of the potholed back streets or the perma flooded underpass.

potsy

Rambler

lucksmith

Cycling + tram tracks is a death trap, doesn't matter how experienced/careful you are, you will fall off on them eventually.

And apparently some of the track designs around Wythenshawe are a total design clusterfark for cyclists, a lot of accidents already reported there already. This notorious section is on Southmoor road going South, who the hell thinks this is a safe design for cyclists? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1sfAG6_ksFjyAhVwtrCWDj4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I cycle across this daily on my way to work. I was particularly careful this morning as I was worried there might have been ice about.

Sorry, I've got nothing constructive to add :-/

Hicky

Guru
I'd get over the m56 either Holly hedge rd or underpass and use Greenwood rd to the roundabouts at Sharston, then either Leestone rd or Altrincham rd.
Personally I'd get M+ and use Hollyhedge as its wide and probably the flattest route.

Top Bottom