Ruptured ligament

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Just thought I would update this.

I went to the physiotherapist today, and wow, far better treatment than I have ever received at the NHS, listened to my concerns, and gave me answer to an exact question.

I went through the injury details with him, the pop, the bruising, and swelling. Explained that I could still walk on it and continued playing within 10 minutes. He had a look and a feel, found the sore spots, and suggested that 1 of the ligaments has a mild sprain, and another certainly has torn like A&E suggested.

So, I asked about returning to sports.

So, he had me first balancing on each leg to compare, 1 leg squats, jumping, hopping, hopping side to side, quick 5 minutes on a treadmill. He was happy with all of that, and actually said I would be safe to continue all sports with care!

He commented that the ligament is going to be vulnerable for 6 weeks or so, and a bad sprain again in this time could cause a complete rupture, but just playing sport or cycling won't do continued damage.

He noticed an imbalance, when doing the 1 leg squats on my good ankle, my knee and ankle and thigh all go nicely in line. On the bad ankle, the knee tips in, but he thinks there's more going on. He explained that he thinks there's some weak muscles on that side, so gave me a list of exercises to do to improve it. He was actually more concerned about the knee than my ankle! When he explained where the strain goes and touched where it will cause an issue, is the exact same place where I have been getting knee pain while cycling!

So, to summarise,

I am fine to play sports so long as I tape the ankle, or use an aircast to help protect it from sprains. And, keep an eye on any pain and swelling. So pain, stop immediately, if swelling the day after, then rest it longer.

Today, I taped the ankle and went playing rugby, currently feel ok, will see how the swelling is in the morning, but hopefully I can get out on the bike tomorrow evening!

What I am most impressed with was that for just £30, I got a very understanding physio, who listened and answered my exact concerns, specific to my circumstances. A guy who found a condition I had, that I hadn't even mentioned! Massaged the ligaments, ultrasound therapy, and didn't pressure me into booking any more sessions. A vast difference to my experiences with the NHS, and will certainly be consulting a private physio for future issues!

So, thanks for pushing me that way guys!

Top Bottom