S-Works Venge or Bianchi Oltre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robwiz

Regular
I'm not sure I'd consider either of those bikes for the requirements set out by the OP. There are some fantastic bikes out there in that price bracket – I wouldn't overlook the Canyon Aeroad CF 9.0 for example.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The OP really needs to think about what he wants from a bike, and what he is likely to want in five years and buy based on that... So many great bikes available at that budget.

Personally If I was looking to keep a bike for five years with a budget like the OP I would be looking at titanium just because its classy and timeless.. I bet the Venge will age in a less dignified manner.

I agree. With this kind of budget, you shouldn't buy a bike because of 'shape and styling'. No decent bike shop would try and sell you one or other of these bikes on that basis. If you really want a super-stiff aero racer, go for it, but your posts suggest you don't. Comfort is far more important than aerodynamics for the vast majority of riders. And if it beats you up every time you ride it, you won't ride it....Of the mass-market manufacturers offers, something like a Roubaix or a Domane is more likely to suit. And then there's the Cervelo R-series bikes, the Colnago C59....Don't rule out other materials either: plenty of very high quality options in steel and titanium.
But if it was my money, I'd be looking at made-to-measure. If something 'off the peg' like a Specialized or a Bianchi, suits you, is the right colour...fine. However, you could have something built to fit you, for the same money. Legend made-to-measure carbon bikes start at £2000 (they also build bikes for Comtat). £4,200 will get you custom tubing as well (so the ride can be tuned to your requirements). They build in steel and titanium as well. Parlee amongst others also do custom carbon, and plenty of other firms do steel/titanium full custom.

zizou

Veteran
If stiffness and being aero are not that important then you are probably better off with something other than a Venge, because that is all about the stiffness and being aero.

Worth trying a few bikes out and seeing what fits and suits your style of riding best (and this is true at all price ranges) Not much point getting something with aggressive geometry if it is uncomfortable and you need to stick a bucket load of spacers under the stem to get a position you are comfortable with, you want something that you will love to ride as much as to look at.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Tks so much guys for input and opinions.

I agreed with my budget there a heap of bikes for my consideration. But it will be endless. Hence I narrow down to what looks good to me. I just love the slightly curvy top tube. It looks cool to me rather than a straight tube.

My riding can go anything between 30 to 60 km per ride, twice a week. My speed av. 35km/h.. Given the short distance, will I feel enough discomfort about the stiffness? The nearest date I could try out both bike is this weekend.

One pointed out the Tarmac or Roubaix which is more forgiving. I’ll certainly try that out as well. I may also consider the earlier version of Oltre which is less stiff.

Lastly, what you guys have to say about the Look 695? I love the colour combination! But I do understand its equally stiff.

Seems like all high end bike are made stiff eh.

Tks again to all.

Robwiz

Regular
Seems like all high end bike are made stiff eh.

Tks again to all.

The more you pay for a bike the closer you are getting to a state of the art road race machine. They're designed for powerful athletes pumping out close to 1000W of peak power in sprint bursts – that's why they have to be stiff. It makes them pretty uncompromising too. Of course if the pose factor and brand recognition are what matters to you, then you may want to put up with something really uncomfortable.

I test rode a Bianchi and found it unpleasantly stiff after a few miles – much depends on the quality of the road surface, but with narrow tyres and an ultra-stiff bike you feel every surface imperfection in the road.

jayonabike