Saddle Similar to 2014 Defy 1 - Fizik Arione?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just an off the cuff comment before I go to bed and no real thought into it but .
A bike fit involves your input to the bike fitter . If you don't know what you want or know what you are after then the bike fitter cant really do a good job ?
My arms will be going a long time mate :laugh: They even name pubs after them :thumbsup:
I look forward to chatting on here more about this :thumbsup: The bike thing that is , not my arms .

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Totally agree. The guy that does mine is a local guy that's well known for his abilities and makes a living from his own premises.

I have no qualms about the fit he did for me. The Defy is spot on even now. The Bianchi just needs adjusting because of my back issues after being knocked off the CBR. The saddle shape is the main problem, and that's nothing to do with the fit.

Will post back after my ride.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cycling plans changed this morning, so no group ride. Probably for the best in trying out my setup. Went out earlier so didn't add that extra 10mm to the fore position.

My thoughts after 36 miles? The bend in my arms took away any sign of neck and shoulder pain. Far less back pain too. Hips and sit bones felt a lot more natural. Knee pain appeared at 7 miles, so was gutted at that...but then went away and only reared its head towards the end.

Whilst I wasn't pushing it too much, with the wet roads, the ride was altogether more pleasurable and less effort. As far as the saddle, I did get some numbness towards the end, but noticed that I was sat quite far forward on it, which went away when I concentrated on sitting further back. So, you're right, I could do with going further forward with the saddle. :smile:

The only downside today was that I think I rotated the bars a tad too far. Found the shifter position better on hoods and in the drops, but wasn't getting the support I would like on the hands. A little bit painful on the wrist bone at bottom of the hands. Tiny bit back and that will be sorted.

The question now is whether I slide the saddle further forward with the shorter stem on, or whether I swap back to the Bianchi stem with saddle further forward a tiny bit more? I could see the front hub when on the drops and also when leaning a tiny bit forward on the hoods. With the saddle forward, it might be too much? How does this compare to your bikes @Cuchilo?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Can you pay for a bike fit? Especially with knee issue

I did pay for the first bike fit, which was fine prior to my accident. Might be in my interest to do so again now. It was an old school bike fit from an experienced guy. What are these new tech fits like? Better or not?

On the flipside, I am not far off where I need to be now. Just need to get measured for the saddle and go from there.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why would an accident affect the fit? What happened? Did you not get a print out of the measurements to replicate?

I've only had retul so can't comment on any other

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Why would an accident affect the fit? What happened? Did you not get a print out of the measurements to replicate?

I've only had retul so can't comment on any other

No. It was an old school fit from experienced guy rather than tech type fit like available these days. Therefore nothing to print out. Lol.

I wanted to get a Retul type fit, but was told about this guy. Both bikes have been fine until now tbh. The motorbike accident was low speed but twisted my body and my lower back muscles and 4th and 5th vertebrae are what I am having physio on mainly.

I kind of suspect that I may have been living with the fit of the Bianchi maybe and not noticed it until my back has been bad?

How much is a Retul style fit?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My bikes are set to what I find I like and advice from the guys at the LBS who race and do tt's . As I don't do either getting the bikes to how I like them is good for me .
With regards to position , I have just sat on both my bikes and notice that my eyes are level with the front of the stem when on the drops . I have no idea if this is a good position or not but it works for me .
This is the first time ive had both bikes next to each other for a very long time and although both have been tweaked separately I notice that they are almost identical in their set up .

001_zps4d27e77c.jpg

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Nice bikes @Cuchilo. Amazing how they ended up the same.

I am intrigued by the Retul type option, but also like the tinker and think that's a reasonable option too.

Saddle measurement first and will ask in store about the fit process at the same time.

zacklaws

Guru
Fizik Arione only come in one size, like all other Fizk saddles which are different sizes and some the same as a Arione, its a case of matching your seat bones to the saddle, not a case of what looks good or matches your old saddle. I had a Fizik Arione and thought it was great but was pushing the comfort limit around 150 miles, till I had my bike fit and found that when I rode, my hips were rocking, so I was recommended a Fizik Aliante which was wider, gave me more support, stopped my hips rocking and now 200+ miles a day are a breeze

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Fizik Arione only come in one size, like all other Fizk saddles which are different sizes and some the same as a Arione, its a case of matching your seat bones to the saddle, not a case of what looks good or matches your old saddle. I had a Fizik Arione and thought it was great but was pushing the comfort limit around 150 miles, till I had my bike fit and found that when I rode, my hips were rocking, so I was recommended a Fizik Aliante which was wider, gave me more support, stopped my hips rocking and now 200+ miles a day are a breeze

Fizik still make the original Arione and the newer version with a longer shape. I don't car whether it looks good. I only started looking at it because it's a well respected saddle and is similar in design to the Giant saddle.

I know that my Giant saddle is comfortable for the length of rides that I do. I also know that the Selle San Marco Era Dynamic, which is wider and more supportive, is far from comfortable as makes my hips and sit bones painful quite early in any ride.

Did I not say, multiple times, in this thread that I am going to get measured before buying any replacement?

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I have a great Specialized Toup Team on 1 bike & an equally good Prologo C150 on the fast bike.

Got a brand new unused Ritchey WCS Streem for sale (taken straight off best bike in shop) if anyone interested, it's white though.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Fizik Arione on my Focus gives me numb nuts after 9 - 10 miles.
I've swapped it temporarily for the Giant saddle off my Defy 5, which I'm comfortable on for 50+, whilst I'm looking around for a similar shaped upmarket saddle more in keeping with a 3k bike.
The Arione has a very flat platform, unlike the Giant one which rises to rear, and I think this may be my problem with it; too much pressure on the crown jewells.:blush:

Top Bottom