Safari 4 for windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
Dear lord, what were they thinking? 'Windows native look and feel'!? :smile:

Absolutely shockingly ugly on XP, the old Safari is much nicer looking and to use, what an awful decision. I've even uninstalled it and reinstalled the old version, it was that horrible, not that I use it that often anyway, but I do for my admin user account.

Why!?

Carwash

Señor Member
I disagree. You may prefer the OS X look and feel, but apps really ought to respect the interface conventions of the platform they're running on. Windows apps 'ported' to OS X or Linux often don't change their interface to match the target platform - or worse still, try to roll their own - and end up looking like a dog's breakfast. This was true of Firefox for a long time. The same is true of many 'cross platform' Java apps that look equally clunky and out of place on all systems. OS programmers provide interface APIs for a reason.

Interface consistency is important across applications. I say bravo to Apple for at least trying to make Safari look and behave like it 'belongs' on Windows.

(As for 'absolutely shockingly ugly on XP': well, you're running XP, a shockingly ugly OS designed for ten-year-old hardware - what on earth were you expecting?!)

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Fair enough for trying, but I still didn't think it looked particulartly like they'd tried all that hard. It's often the case that things are better developed for their original OS, which is fair, but not great to fob the others off with something that looks slightly half baked...
and just because I can't afford anything else right now, and need Windows for some of my applications instead of going Linux (which I do really like). And I can make XP run fairly nicely, but I'd agree, it's not nice.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
beanzontoast said:
Haven't tried 4 yet, though I quite liked the grey scheme of 3 under Xp. Am I going to regret installing 4 then?

See what you think, would be interested to know. I just thought it looked and felt like a massive step back on Windows. The Mac one is fine though, and doesn't look that dissimilar to 3, due to the 'native styling' on a mac being similar to the universal design of 3.

Top Bottom