Saturday Morning ride round Windsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
A bit late, I know, but anyone fancy joining me on a ride around Windsor Great Park? Route will be largely as per the article in Cycle Active Magazine in June(ish) - about 25 miles IIRC. Weather is looking good. I'm easy on pace, but would prefer briskish.

Starting in Shepperton, but can meet up with people on the way to the start.

martint235

Dog on a bike
A bit late, I know, but anyone fancy joining me on a ride around Windsor Great Park? Route will be largely as per the article in Cycle Active Magazine in June(ish) - about 25 miles IIRC. Weather is looking good. I'm easy on pace, but would prefer briskish.

Shame, I would be tempted by this but am on the Southend ride tonight, will be still cycling back in the morning. Maybe another time..

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Shame, I would be tempted by this but am on the Southend ride tonight, will be still cycling back in the morning. Maybe another time..

+1 to this as well. Shame as I will no doubt be passing through here on the way back to get the miles up and pop past a party in Shepperton too..

Even making it a afternoon ride could be hit'n'miss too.. shame.. then again, sunset over Windsor Great Park, is, well, Great... not sure I fancy being out that long though.. xx(

Aperitif

Meme bar
The park was one of my routine outings until last year. The polo season finished on 12th sept so there will be no activity on Smiths Lawn - but it will be an impressive expanse of turf. The gunnera mannicata lurking on the circuit is worth seeing...I think the growth gets chopped down in October / November. The mobile café might still be by the obelisk if the weather is fine and there is a fair pub at the base of Crimp Hill - that's a nice way up to the Park too. Just when you think you're there it 'adds' a bit extra...:smile:

On this page there's a pic. of 'The Giant Rhubarb'!
https://www.cyclechat.net/ there's also a later thread 'Park and Ride' ride which has some background on the monuments I think...

Have fun - enjoy the planes, wave to the Castle and mind the crusty minority who look down their nose at you the cyclist, as they stroll around 'their' estate 'harrumphing' ;)

redjedi

Über Member

+1

In fact I'm planning on being in Wokingham for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and a ride to Windsor is definitely on the cards.

Norm

I read that route report with a smile on my face.

Other than charity rides, I've only once ridden with someone else (DavyW) so, I had no baseline when I read that article in the summer. I knew what speed I ride and I knew what hills I don't like, but I had no idea if that was better or worse than anyone else. I felt a lot better with my riding after reading that article because she said that there were two challenging hills, one of which I've never found that much of an issue although the other one (Crimp Hill between Old Windsor and Bishopsgate) always has me in the granny ring.

Not that I'm fast - as I'm sure DavyW will confirm! I have a "workmanlike" pace, which I can maintain for hours but I am definitely built for comfort, not speed. :tongue:

Anyway, I was doing that route 3 or 4 times a week until my last contract started back in June, so I can't turn this one down. I'm actually north of the route on the other side of Windsor, but I'll come meet you on the way into the park. How about at, say, Virginia Water station? What sort of time are you thinking?

In fact I'm planning on being in Wokingham for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and a ride to Windsor is definitely on the cards.
Excellent. Post it up, I'm already on the right side of Windsor to ride in from Wokingham. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Easy, but how about 9:00. Can make it 8:30 if you wish.

Will pm you my contact details.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Thanks, Norm. Superb weather, great views, and fun ride.

Must do it again next time I am down in this neck of the woods (except at Christmas - could be a bit cold and wet!)

Norm

No worries and sorry about the lack of speed.

I'm whacked now, my legs have gone and I'm barely awake. I've also started wheezing, so I think that I might indeed be coming down with a chest infection.

Anyway, I agree that it's a good ride. The number of people around the lake slow things down a tad, but the roads in the park are great for cycling.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Had a bit of a test with three serious cyclists on the way back - all on carbon, and two with aerobars. Overtook them, but they came back, sat on my wheel, and overtook me later. Still, happy to be at their speed, if only for a handful of miles.

Top Bottom