scart connectors...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've finally acquired a TV with a bigger screen than the portable I've been using for the past few months.

The portable only had a single scart socket on the back, which was used for watching output from 3 things: the Sky box, DVD player and VCR (there are a couple of scart leads that interconnect these boxes).

The new TV has 3 scart sockets on the back (AV1, AV2, AV3).

In essence, does this mean I should be able to connect each of the 3 boxes directly to the back of the TV? Unfortunately, I don't have any manuals with the TV.

Any ideas?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
yes, in short. there will be a button on the remote (and under a panel/on the side of the telly) that cycles between the different av inputs.

Willow

search for the instructions to the telly on the internet. it depends what you want to feed through where I expect an expert will be on to help.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes. Use input/source etc button on the remote. If you don't record anything off sky that set up makes sense. The manual (available online probably) should tell you if there are any restrictions/asymmetry there.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
yes, in short. there will be a button on the remote (and under a panel/on the side of the telly) that cycles between the different av inputs.
Gotya. I was messing with the Sky remote (now programmed to work with the TV, as I don't have the original remote) and did see an AV1/2/3 selection thing on-screen- also selectable from the button under the panel. cheers man.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I'll take a look on the web for a manual. It's an early 1990s (?) Panasonic Quintrix. Thanks.

U

User482

Your boxes may have a higher quality connector than SCART available. For example, HDMI or component are both better. Read the manuals to see what they recommend for best picture quality.

U

User482

alecstilleyedye said:
on an early '90s tv?

The OP said he had recently acquired a bigger TV - I hadn't spotted that it was second hand.

Mr Pig

You really want to dig up a manual. Although it has three sockets they're probably not all the same. One will probably be RGB but the others might be composite etc. Also the TV may 'see' them in a certain order so that it will automatically switch to whatever is plugged into the first socket unless that source is switched off, that kind of theng.

You'll get it to work by farting around with it but with the manual you should be able to configure it better. What TV is it?

... and when you do get it all hooked up and working with the help from these good people, may I suggest the first thing you do next is to spend 5 mins drawing a diagram on a piece of paper showing which lead from which box goes to which socket, and what channel things have to be on to use various inputs? We did this for our tv/digibox/dvd recorder combination and it's saved us hours when we've redocorated and had to reinstall everything. We also have one of those scart switching units that decides what box is talking to what other box when you want to perform different tasks - that's on the diagram too.

And keep the diagram in a safe place. In fact, make a copy of it!

:biggrin:

Mr Pig

About a year ago we bought a surround sound amp, nothing fancy, a fairly cheap Yamaha one, so that the DVD player, Play Station, Wii and Digi-Box could all play in surround sound. Now, I'm a fairly technically minded person but honestly, it was a pain in the backside!

Apart from all the physical connections, and the various options for those, you can configure the inputs electronically too, so that choosing one input will supply sound from one source and pictures from another! And the worst thing was the convoluted remote menu system you had to use to do all this. The way the functions are arranged on the remote is truly obtuse. You would think that after all these years they'd be able to make things simpler wouldn't you?

Top Bottom