Scott Foil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
I'm considering buying a second hand Scott Foil 20
Looking at the reviews they are very mixed some say its very stiff and not for long rides. A long ride for me is 80 - 100 mile.
Some reviews have it, as yes stiff but still fine on the longer ride.
Just wondering if anyone had first hand experience of the ride..

Citius

It's a race frame, so it's going to be stiff. Having said that the Orica fellas manage ok with the foil on long rides. If you're considering one, then ignore every review except your own..

adyc

Hi, I`ve got a Foil 20. I`ve had it for a year now, done a few longish sportives / club rides of 80+ miles. Yes it is a stiff frame as that's whats its designed to be. Its not a full on "sportive" bike but I cant complain about the ride quality.
Yes you can get more "comfortable" bikes but it comes down to what you want the bike to be for you. I talked to a very good shop about buying a Cannondale synapse at the time and they talked me out of it as they said it would not suit my style of rides. So I plumped for the Foil instead (from another shop).
Personally I really like the bike, but I could also understand that its not for everyone.
I'm going to take it abroad next year for the Mallorca 312 ride which is just under 200 miles. But as its not in this country I know that the roads out there are a lot smoother than over here!
Hope this helps a bit.

jack smith

Veteran
I didnt give it the riding i should of unfortunatley my frame was too small for me so was not very comfy at all, anyone who says it is too stiff hasent rode proper race bikes before. It is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Just make sure your fitted for it correctly.
image.jpg

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
You wont be disappointed , I've got the Foil15 with Di2 and its a dream . My longest ride has been 135 miles over Exmoor on it and found it comfortable and last Sunday I did the Lands End 100 with a very strong wind and cut through it . I probably don't do it justice as it just begs you to go faster . I must add that I did have a Reutal bike fit when I got it and it certainly worked for me .

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Having said that the Orica fellas manage ok with the foil on long rides.

The Orica fellas are young, skinny and supple. I don't know about the OP but as an overweight MAMIL with stiff, creaking joints and a weak core, I wouldn't take a pro rider's experience as a reliable yardstick for myself.

unfortunatley my frame was too small for me so was not very comfy at all

Just goes to prove the point that the most comfortable bike is the one that fits you best.

Citius

The Orica fellas are young, skinny and supple. I don't know about the OP but as an overweight MAMIL with stiff, creaking joints and a weak core, I wouldn't take a pro rider's experience as a reliable yardstick for myself.

Maybe not, but it nevertheless shows that the frame is capable of being ridden over long distance. As indeed any type of frame is.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Harsh ride, compliant, relaxed, aggresive, carbon, aluminium, steel (1970's), aero, fast, slow, heavy, light.

I've ridden all types. Can't really recall noticing a smidgeon of difference between any of them. The only thing that seems to matter - as far as I'm concerned - are making sure the bike fits properly and being happy with the gear ratios.

Edit. Oh..and making sure you have a good set of wheels!

busdennis

Veteran
Harsh ride, compliant, relaxed, aggresive, carbon, aluminium, steel (1970's), aero, fast, slow, heavy, light.

I've ridden all types. Can't really recall noticing a smidgeon of difference between any of them. The only thing that seems to matter - as far as I'm concerned - are making sure the bike fits properly and being happy with the gear ratios.

Edit. Oh..and making sure you have a good set of wheels!

best bike buying advice you can get

Top Bottom