Search for a Steel Cyclocrossgravelcommuterbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EckyH

Hello,

I'm looking for a new bicycle as something in between of a gravel bike and a cyclocross bike which is also capable for the job as a backup commuter.

The following items are must have:
  • steel frame and fork
  • wheel size 700c
  • mudguard mounts
  • tire clearance without mudguards at least 41mm
  • steering angle at least 72°
  • external cable routing
  • BSA threaded bottom bracket
  • 1 1/8" threadless headset
  • 100/135mm quick release axles
  • disc brakes (for 160mm disc diameter)
  • two mounts for bottle cages
  • cable holders/stoppers for mechanical front and rear derailleurs
The following items are nice to have:
  • fairly long steering tube
  • rear rack mounts
  • lightweight
  • not a plethora of wartsmounts for front panniers
  • current model (so that it is possible to buy it via the German "bike to work" scheme)
The Surly Preamble ticks most of the boxes, but lacks on steering tube length. Despite Surly claims that the Preamble is capable of a "Bottom Pull (Ø28.6) Front Derailleur (Clamp)" I couldn't find any informative images of the necessary infrastructure for that (cable holders or cable stoppers) or a Preamble with front derailleur.

Are there any reasonable alternatives out there which meet the criteria above?

Many thanks,

E.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
See what PX do as they have a few steel gravel CX.

PS if going CX route bear in mind you'll be lucky to get mounts of any sort.

Also QR and Discs might limit choice.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi

I like your preferences!

Names that spring to my mind are Stayer and Spa, but I don't know about buying either on the German cycle to work scheme.

vickster

Legendary Member

PS if going CX route bear in mind you'll be lucky to get mounts of any sort.

On German C2W?

Which retailers actually do take it?

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Spa don’t even offer UK C2W!

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that one option in Germany is for the employer to buy a bike outright for the employee. No vouchers, no tax implications, so a purchase from a UK company could be possible.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm presuming the OP is referring to the JobRad scheme here in Germany. I'm not actually aware that you can order bikes from overseas suppliers, also bear in mind companies like Spa cycles won't entertain sending stuff to Germany since Brexit. Along with that is the complications from tax and import duties which you would need to pay on any bike coming from the UK.

Which retailers actually do take it?

Most of the bike shops in Germany as well as a plethora of online retailers:

https://www.jobrad.org/haendlersuche.html

With regard bike recommendations themselves, I'm struggling to think of any bikes that meet the strict requirements. One of the biggest problems is the Quick Release, I can't think of a modern bike that has them. The one bike that sprung to mind when you listed your specs is the Kona Sutra, either the LTD gravel bike, or the more touring orientated normal Sutra. Unfortunately the Sutra stopped using QR around 2018. I actually have a 2016 Sutra LTD which is a fantastic bike, however the one piece of technology I really wish it had was Thru-Axles, the QR skewers make wheel removal a real pain.

I'll keep racking my brains through and if I can think of a steel framed gravel/cross bike I'll pop back.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that one option in Germany is for the employer to buy a bike outright for the employee. No vouchers, no tax implications, so a purchase from a UK company could be possible.

Ah well then the OP needs to elucidate

OP
OP
EckyH

EckyH

Thanks for your quick answers so far. :thumbsup:
[...]
Do you mean Planet X?
At the moment I can't find a frame for QR on their web site.

One of the biggest problems is the Quick Release, I can't think of a modern bike that has them
QR is a must, because all my other bicycle wheel related stuff is QR and I'm so old that I'll stay compatible with QR until I die. ;)

German cycle to work scheme
Ah well then the OP needs to elucidate
The scheme here consists of three participants: a bicycle leasing company, the bike shop and the employer. My employer cooperates with one specific bike leasing company. So I have to find a bike shop who cooperates with the same bike leasing company (that's why I can't purchase eg. a Brompton directly from Brompton Germany, because they cooperate only with another bike leasing company). The advantage of that scheme for employees is that the monthly costs of the leasing rates reduce their tax relevant incomes.

Please keep in mind: The German "cycle to work" scheme is only a nice to have for me, not a must like QR or a BSA/ITA bottom bracket.

Names that spring to my mind are Stayer and Spa
The Stayer Groadinger UG unfortunately comes with 142x12 rear spacing and a T47 BB.
Unfortunately Spa doesn't ship frames to the rest of Europe.

E.

si_c

Guru
On the QR/TA thing if you have loads of spare disc wheels, there are adaptors I think?
You can usually mount Thru-Axle wheels on a QR bike, but you won't be able to do so in the opposite direction, which is what the OP is looking for.

More specifically, for road use, front drop out spacing is 100mm for both QR and Thru-Axle standards, however the former has the tabs to locate the hub in the dropouts which makes the actual hub with rather than OLD diameter wider than a thru-axle wheel.

Depending on the wheelset, you could might be able to replace the end caps to be able to use both - I was able to do this with my Bontrager wheels which use DT Swiss hubs - but it is not always possible and becoming a less common option with disc wheels as time moves on.

I'm stuck with a set of Disc brake only wheels with QR and no bike to put them on, so I'm likely to have to change the hubs at some point to use the rims, but the dynamo hub is pretty much useless to me now sadly since the only QR disc frame I had suffered a failed weld earlier this year.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to meet that spec you'll need to go used. QR is more or less dead now.
I've got a Specialized AWOL which you might like to consider. Steel frame and fork. Takes up to 45c tyres. Discs, post mount . Threaded BB. Mounts.

PXL_20231121_170954045.jpg
There are a couple on eBay right now.

All uphill

Still rolling along
You can usually mount Thru-Axle wheels on a QR bike, but you won't be able to do so in the opposite direction, which is what the OP is looking for.

More specifically, for road use, front drop out spacing is 100mm for both QR and Thru-Axle standards, however the former has the tabs to locate the hub in the dropouts which makes the actual hub with rather than OLD diameter wider than a thru-axle wheel.

Depending on the wheelset, you could might be able to replace the end caps to be able to use both - I was able to do this with my Bontrager wheels which use DT Swiss hubs - but it is not always possible and becoming a less common option with disc wheels as time moves on.

I'm stuck with a set of Disc brake only wheels with QR and no bike to put them on, so I'm likely to have to change the hubs at some point to use the rims, but the dynamo hub is pretty much useless to me now sadly since the only QR disc frame I had suffered a failed weld earlier this year.

Have you thought of selling them?

I (and others) might be interested in disc brake, QR hub wheels with dynamo, depending on location, condition and price.

Top Bottom