seat height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craig kennedy

I am a geek
I read an article yesterday about getting the seat right on your bike, and it showed the apparent simplest way.
Get a level, put it between your legs, pull it up to act like your sitting on the seat and make sure it is actually level.
Mark the wall, door etc where the level is.
Measure this to the floor, then deduct 10cm from that measurement.
Then take that measurement and measure from the centre of the pedal hub thing (sorry) up to the seat, amking sure you follow the bike tube all the way up.
I thought, hmm, ok, that sounds easy.
My inside measurement (sitting on the level) is 87CM, so thats 77CM after deducting the 10CM
But that places my seat so high that I can barely touch the floor when sitting on the bike, with shoes on, so something is def not right?

Citius

You're not supposed to be able to touch the floor necessarily. That really isn't the point. For saddle height, the only consideration is the distance between top of saddle and pedal at full extension. If you want to touch the floor, get off the saddle.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A bit over simplistic and a tad high maybe, inside leg x 1.09 = height from pedals to saddle (= 94.8 for you ) or .883 x inside leg from centre of bottom bracket ( = 76.8 for you ) or the simplest way ...
bike_fit1seatheight.jpg

Put your heel on the pedal at the bottom and your leg should be straight which means when your riding ( b) your leg has the correct amount of bend.
And yes you need to slide off your saddle to put your feet on the floor .
Sitting on the level ? i thought you always measured inside leg with no shoes with feet normal width apart .

cyberknight

Then you need to look at saddle set back , KOPS is a favoured starting point with people for and against .
KOPS3.jpg

Get a plumb line / aka something on a string even a yoyo and your knee cap should be level with the centre of your pedal

Mobytek

Fistly - wear your cycling shoes, stand on flat floor.

hold the level horizontally between you legs, as if straddling it.

Get somone to measure from the floor to the top of the level, this is you inside seam.

Then measure from the floor to your waist - this is your Greater Tronch.

add these together in mm to determine your predicted saddle height.

http://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/blog/?p=96

OP
OP
craig kennedy

craig kennedy

I am a geek
hang on, if I measure the inside leg then measure the outside leg, and add them together, Im going to need a ladder to get onto the bike in the morning and stopping will be interesting

cyberknight

hang on, if I measure the inside leg then measure the outside leg, and add them together, Im going to need a ladder to get onto the bike in the morning and stopping will be interesting
I reread that page , thats not the formula , i think hes saying the real formula involves them but you need to buy the pdf to see it .
He does say that .885 x inseam to centre of cranks is close enough .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Another rough and ready way to establish a baseline point for saddle height is to stand next to the bike and reach over so that the saddle is under your armpit and the end of your middle finger is on the centre of the crank axle. I've found this surprisingly accurate, and good for quick setting up of exercise and spinning bikes in the gym.

zacklaws

Guru
Another rough and ready way to establish a baseline point for saddle height is to stand next to the bike and reach over so that the saddle is under your armpit and the end of your middle finger is on the centre of the crank axle. I've found this surprisingly accurate, and good for quick setting up of exercise and spinning bikes in the gym.

It is rough as well, never heard of that before so out of curiosity just tried it, and it was spot on, then I realised that I just bent over the saddle and put my finger on the crank axle center and the saddle fits into the armpit, but when I put the saddle in the armpit first and tried it a few times, I found I could be an inch plus or minus which is a big deviation. To amuse kids, its a bit like saying your nose is the length from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your fourth finger when they are held together and you put put the tip of the thumb on the tip of your nose, you make the tip of the fourth finger fit in the bridge of your nose and you believe it is right

Venod

Eh up
I use, foot clipped in, pedal at the bottom of the stroke, with the leg pushed straight the sole of the shoe should be horizontal.

Top Bottom